Driving Seattle to California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will spend 10 days this May driving from Seattle to ? California along the coast. Could someone help me with some "must sees" along the way, Washington, Oregon, Calif. Definetly want to see Redwoods, Hearst Castle, and just hug the coast as much as possible. I just dont know how far south we can make it. If we should fly out of LA or could we make it to San Diego. We love to drive and sightsee.We are from Florida.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a long drive if you tried to do the coast the entire way. Will you sight-see in Seattle? I might skip the Washington coast, and head straight down the interstate, then cut over in Oregon. San Diego is only 2 hours further than Los Angeles, so that part's no big deal. But likely more flight choices out of LAX.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM

I agree with Suze up to a point. Most of the Washington coast along 101 is unremarkable, but when you get down to Ilwaco you will find a Lewis and Clark interpretive center that is worth a visit, and, although I haven't been there yet, I understand that there is some kind of L&C park on the Oregon side. Nice statue of the adventurers in Seaside.

Stay on 101 and you will see the redwoods, for sure, but you will have to go over to highway 1 to see Hearst Castle. With plenty of time, you can leave 101 at Leggett, CA and drive over to 1 for the rest of the trip. It will merge back into 101 to get you through San Francisco and then they split again. Slow going, but scenic.

Have your camera ready. Oregon has many viewpoints for picture taking. I'm partial to the coast just south of Port Orford, where there are dozens of sea stacks.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love many stretches of the coast in Washington... I just was not certain if 10 days would be sufficient to drive the coast the entire way Seattle to LA/San Diego. Think so?
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:11 AM

Suze, we just did it as far as LA in four days, going down to see the Rose Parade. Didn't want to chance snow in the Siskiyous, although as it turned out there was none. Went over to the coast (101) from the freeway at Longview. We did our share of gawking and taking pictures but did not stop at places like Hearst Castle because been-here-done-that. I guess San Diego would add another day.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM

I suggest you end your explorations in Malibu.

On the Oregon coast we like to stay in Cannon Beach and one or more of these: Newport, Bandon, and Brookings.

In California, we like to stay in Mendocino, San Francisco, Cambria, and Santa Barbara. Other very popular destinations in California are Monterey, Carmel, and San Luis Obispo.

Highlights are listed in AAA TourBooks, on this web site, and many other places, including: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/usa/

Happy Trails to You