Driving route - Ventura to San Luis Obispo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some input on the route between Ventura and San Luis Obispo. It looks like there are 3 choices.

1. Hwy 101 all the way.
2. Hwy 101 to Santa Barbara, Hwy 154 past Lake Cachuma, Hwy 101 again up to SLO.
3. Hwy 101 past Santa Barbara to Las Cruces, Hwy 1 to Arroyo Grande, Hwy 101 again to SLO.

I haven't been in this area for quite awhile and have vague memories of all of these routes, vague being the operative world - LOL. Which is why I am looking for some input. We will be driving from SLO to Ventura and back again on a trip next month.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Most definately 101 all the way; there tends to be alot of construction on 154 that can slow you down. Plus you'll get to see the beautiful ocean along 101.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:49 PM

J Correa: I will differ from the precious poster and tell you not to miss taking "the pass." (What we locals call the 154.) You'll be able to stop in Los Olivos and Santa Ynez, see a few wineries and a beautiful part of California. You'll see plenty of ocean between Ventura and Santa Barbara and the 154 makes a nice drive. (It's also 15 to 20 minutes shorter driving time than going stright on the 101.) Listen to 99.9 KTYD for frequent traffic information. Lots of good restaurants on this route too! For a gourmet lunch, try Chef Rick's in Santa Ynez. Also, the Santa Ynez market makes great sandwiches to pack a picnic to take to a winery. (Bridlewood and Gainey are two of the most beautiful settings.) Even if you have no time to stop along the way, this is a scenic drive.... see the Cold Springs Bridge, Cachuma Lake and the old Santa Inez Mission! Many other sights to see... will you have the whole day to do the drive? Welcome to the Central Coast!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:53 PM

I would take the San Marcos Pass (Lake Cachuma) one way, and the other direction I would take Hwy. 101, then Hwy. 1 between Buellton and Pismo Beach. Both routes you will be on Hwy. 101 for a good part and you will get ocean, rolling hills & oaks, and vineyard views. When exactly are you taking the drive? The vineyards should be changing colors within a month or so. Really beautiful seasonal color, especially if we get some chilly nights.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:53 AM
GP

Hi J_Correa

I have been on all three and agree with SloPlugs unless time is a factor take the time and enjoy the view

Have Fun
GP
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:56 AM

Patrick's Sidestreet Cafe and Los Olivos Cafe (both in Los Olivos) are great stops. In Avila Beach I recommend Old Porte Inn for lunch (you drive to the end of the last pier~there are 3). The fish tacos are the best I've ever eaten and the view is to die for! The renovated downtown Avila Beach is nice. Sunday mornings local artists often exhibit their works. The Old Custom House has great breakfasts. Sycamore Mineral Springs(in Avila Valley) is a nice spa resort with a good restaurant (The Gardens of Avila). If you like walking/biking/roller blading, the Bob Jones Bike Trail through Avila Valley is not to be missed. You can park near the 101 off of Ontario Road. Here is a good link to parks & trails in the area: http://www.slocountyparks.com/facilities/index.htm
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for all the input. All the information is really helpful.

We will be travelling sometime in October, more than likely around Oct 24.

Time will be a factor on the way from SLO to Ventura - actually that day we will be travelling from SJ to Ventura. It's a bit of a drive, so we probably wont do much siteseeing that day. We are thinking of stopping at Mission San Antonio since I have heard the surroundings are very similar to the surroundings of the missions when they were built - rather than in the middle of town like many are today. Then probably another stop along the way a couple hours later to stretch our legs, look at something interesting and get a bite to eat.

On the way back, we've got time. We are stopping in the SLO area for a couple days and just need to be there by mid afternoon.

Then our plan is to head up Hwy 1 through Big Sur and home to SJ.