Reload this Page >

Driving Road to Hana?

Search

Driving Road to Hana?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 08:31 AM
lisa

Driving Road to Hana?

We are honeymooning in July and renting a convertable. We'd like to drive the road to Hana. How long of a drive is it? What is the best time to go? How do we get directions for this trip?

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Cheri

It took us the better part of a day to drive there and back. I'd get a fairly early start. It isn't hard to find, you can ask anyone or get a map when you pick up your car. Maui was a very easy island to get around on.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 09:42 AM
hhh

gotta leave reasonably early
don't go if it's getting foggy on the east side, literally made us sick driving all the switchbacks without a view
easy to find, it's the only road over there

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 10:20 AM
hana

Not sure about renting a convertible to Hana though...we rented a firbird conv. and it was tough driving through all the one way bridges. SUV would be better.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 02:51 PM
Daniel

I guess I was lucky weatherwise, but regardless of vehicle, I say DO IT, DO IT, DO IT. Sure, the trip back will likely be in the evening, but the stops and scenery along the way were well worth it for me. Not to mention the spectacular scenery of Hana itself!

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 04:46 PM
ezron

Definitely RENT THE CONVERTIBLE, if you don't you'll regret it every time you get in the car. As for Hana, it's a great day trip if you are on Maui for at least 5 days+. If you are on the island less than that I would not use 1 whole day for this. But if you do go, see the Seven Sacred Pools and go a little further to Charles Lindbergh's grave. Maui's the BEST enjoy

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Greg

Hello I did the road to Hana last year, definately get the convertable. However we did not stop at Hana, you can go all the way around on a gravel road. The views we saw past Hana were some of the most pristine and remote we had seen on the whole trip. There is nothing out there so bring some water and snacks. Definately our best adventure in Maui, also check out sailing to lanai on the trilogy.