Driving I95

Dec 9th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Sibyl

Driving I95

Does anyone know any good eating places or sleeping places off I95 from NY to FL driving

Dec 9th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Gail

Hi Sibyl- In Santee, S.C. there's a terrific place called Clarke's- Great food, very clean motel. I posted on it a while back- You might do a search and come up with the original, or email me w/??. Last Santee exit, one block off 95

Dec 9th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Celeste

I've made this drive many, many times and tend to look for Cracker Barrel for most of my meals. I really like their food and the country stores. I never stop to sleep so I can't help you with a hotel.

Dec 11th, 2001, 01:12 PM
jj

Exit 104 in Virgina -- Iron Skillet.

Santee is another good stopping place.

Dec 11th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Sibyl

Thanks for all the info. Anything else would be appreciated.

Dec 11th, 2001, 05:04 PM
roadtripper

If you've got kids, don't miss out on South of the Border. It's literally on the border of NC & SC - it's the cheesiest but kids love it!

Dec 12th, 2001, 05:36 AM
JJ

If you've got kids and go to South of the Border -- which I admit is a masterpiece of tackiness -- be careful which building you go into -- one is devoted to weapons, one is devoted to sex toys/games.

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:05 PM
paulette

I used to live off 95 in Rocky Mount, almost 1/2 way between NY & Miami. If you take the Wesleyan Blvd. exit (for the mall) and turn left at the light heading toward Wesleyan Coll there will be a Texas Steakhouse on your left behind a McDonald's and about 1/2 mile further up on the left past the mall, is El Tapatio a great little Mexican place.

Dec 12th, 2001, 08:41 PM
Polly

Paulette, where is the neat bar-b-q place just off 95 in the Rocky Mount area. I stopped there once and can definitely recommend it, but did not post because I didn't rem the name or location. Maybe a local (?) can help???

Dec 12th, 2001, 09:05 PM
Joy in Virginia

Polly, are you thinking of Ralph's? Rocky Mount exit, head east about 1/2 mile, it will be on the left.They only take cash or local checks. Buffet with Caroline style BBQ - vinegar type sauce.

Another idea: take I-295 to circle around Richmond and avoid the I-95 bridge construction that will be going on for the next umpteen years! I-295 exit toward Tappahannock will put you on route 360 going east with lots of choices. I-HOP, good but kinda slow. Cracker Barrel. Mexico, local chain with good food, in the strip mall across from the Cracker Barrel. Go further down the road for Shoney's on the right, or Andy's BBQ on left, or Peking on left. There is a Holiday Inn Express off this exit too.

Dec 13th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Judy

I will be driving Boston to Florida next Thursday so I am quite interested in what all of you are saying. It sounds like Rocky Mount is a good place to stop for the night.

I am looking for a Marriott that night - Fairfield, Courtyard, Spring Hill Suites... anyone know the best one in Rocky Mount?

How does Ralph's compare to Andy's for BBQ?

Dec 13th, 2001, 05:04 AM
RB

If stopping in Rocky Mount, NC, there is a very nice Hampton Inn, 530 North Winstead Ave., (252) 937-6333, just off Hwy 64 East, near hospital. You can take 64 exit off I-95.
If you're going for BBQ, you must eat at Bob Melton's BBQ. In 1924, Bob Melton opened the state’s first sit-down barbecue restaurant in Rocky Mount. While the original location was destroyed in the 1999 flood, the restaurant continues the tradition at its new location, 501 Old Mill Road, 27804-4212; 252-446-8513. This is not too far from Hampton Inn; ask front desk for directions. Another place is Sister's Family Restaurant - good veggies-- and it's right down from the Hampton Inn. 1071 Winstead Ave., 252-451-0110. If you head into downtown Rocky Mount, have lunch at Central Cafe-- great cheeseburgers & hot dogs- try w/ mustard,chili,slaw. 132 S. Church St., 252-446-8568. These aren't fancy places, but the food is good. Safe travels.

Dec 13th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Judy

Thanks RB for the suggestions. Would you happen to know if Rocky Mount has anything special that goes on for New Years Eve? We will be on our way home to Boston on New Years Eve and didn't know if there was any place in particular that would be fun to stop.

Dec 13th, 2001, 08:47 AM
contrary

Let me be contrary to one post: There is no good reason on this Earth for anyone to stop at South of the Border, unless you absolutely have to use the restrooms.

I mean, how many Elvis portraits and fake-Mexican knick-knacks does one have to see in one's life?

Dec 13th, 2001, 09:20 AM
roadtripper

Some people get a kick out of the cheese, like Stuckey's.

Dec 13th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Dave

Try->>-- interstate4u.com

Plan your trip !!!
food--fuel---motels---etc...

Everything you need to know about exits on interstate travel...

Dec 13th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Patrick

I can't go by the southernmost Brunswick, Georgia exit without a stop at the Georgia Pig Bar-B-Q. It is in an old cabin that looks like it could fall down any minute. The door to the restroom (inside, surprisingly) is weighted with a brick on a rope so it will close automatically. You can't get french fries, because they have no way to cook them, but they do keep a big pot of hot beans on the grill to go with the wonderful bar-b-q that they chop or slice as you order it.

Search this Thread