Sacramento to Yosemite

Search

Sacramento to Yosemite

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sacramento to Yosemite

We will be driving from Sacramento airport to Yosemite on Sept. 10, a Friday morning, and returning to the Sacramento area on Sunday afternoon (flight isn't till Monday afternoon).

Google Maps keeps telling us to go SR-99 rather than I-5. Time is our main objective going in; but if 99 is not that much longer while being slightly more interesting than the highway, I'll go 99. But if 99 poses more problems by something unforeseen like traffic or construction or the like, I'll go I-5. Any thoughts?

BTW, the more scenic route through Gold Country will be reserved for our way out of Yosemite.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM

We would use 99 for that drive over I5. It's more direct. If you are looking for a more scenic alternative you could always take 49 south to 120 into the park. You could go 50 east to pick up 49. If you are looking for the straight shot then I'd take 99.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Oops just saw your last line. As Emily Litella would say, "Never mind"
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick reply, Suzie. Exactly the kind of answer I was hoping to get! And I can use your advice for the scenic alternative in the reverse! So I guess 99 it is and we'll have plenty of options that way as well as far as eating (hoping for an In 'n Out as we've never been) and stocking up at the grocery for the weekend.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM

Returning to Sacramento on 49 I would take a left at the T where turning right would be 49 and turning left would be 16. West on 16 will take you to Sacramento. You can get to the freeway (50) by heading north on Bradshaw, Watt or Howe/Power Inn from 16. Then take 50 west to I 5 north to the Airport.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"You can get to the freeway (50) by heading north on Bradshaw, Watt or Howe/Power Inn from 16. Then take 50 west to I 5 north to the Airport."

I'd turn right from hwy 16 on to Latrobe Road instead - but that is just me. It hits Hwy 50 at El Dorado Hills and is a pretty drive.

And if you have the time -- you can do a short detour from Plymouth on Shenandoah and Shenandoah School roads and see lots of vineyards/tasting rooms.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Do you have hotel reservations yet? Since you will be there on a weekend you shouldn't waste a minute before making reservations. I also agree that the hwy 120 approach makes sense if you are starting from Sacramento, but hwy 140 seemed more scenic when I was there in May.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I avoid 99 due to so much on/off merging traffic in Sacto & Elk Grove. I head south down I-5 and cut over at Hwy.4/ Stockton cross-town freeway to 99. My preferred route to get over to 99 and beyond.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ MichelleY -- since you are starting from SMF. You will be right ON I-5 and can make better time.

If I'm starting from elsewhere - east Sac, the E Suburbs, old Elk Grove - I'd take 99. But from the west side/SMF - I'd use I-5 down to 4 and across to 99 there. Just an easier drive IMO.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we have our accomodations set.

Actually now I'm thinking of continuing on down to the southern entrance and coming up 41. The reason for that would be to possibly take in Mariposa Grove on the way in so that we can "knock" that one out and not have to double back. (We are there for a Saturday night wedding at the Ahwahnee so to get everything in, I feel I have to be uber-strategic so as not to be caught in the wrong end at the wrong time). Not sure how dumb that is given that we could just keep driving rather than stopping to unpack and then double back. As long as it's still light, I'm not as worried about time of day photo wise.

But I don't want to get caught in traffic or construction and I thought someone had mentioned in another thread that 41 had some problems this summer.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

We're not staying at the Ahwahnee, we are staying at Cozy Bear Cottages on Yosemite Park Way further south.