Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving from San Francisco to Canada - any tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to drive from San Francisco up to Canada in September, over 2 weeks.

Is this too ambitious? I've never done this sort of holiday before so would welcome any tips or suggestions. There will be 3 of sharing the driving and we plan to stay in motels/hostels on the way.

Many thanks
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:23 AM

My first reaction was to fly. But truthfully, my daughter and I did this trip (both directions over 10 days a few years ago and had a great time.

There are lots of fun things to see and do along the way, depending on your interests. Highlights for us were the Elk in Prairie City, jet boats on the Rogue River, camping on the Columbia River and taking the river boat ride, hiking at Manultmah (sp?) Falls, touring the Bonneville Damn and fish ladders, and best of all... the ferry through the Puget Sound, from Seattle to Victoria. So beautiful!

We had no problem finding hotels and motels along the way. No need to plan too rigidly. Just know what's along the way and what you want to see.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:34 AM

I'd suggest starting out along the coast north of San Francisco. Go to Point Reyes, up through Mendocino (way to go! Mendocino! for defeating the bioengineering move) to enjoy pristine coastal communities and giant redwoods.

Then cut inland to Crater Lake - great sight! I can't remember when the Ashland Shakespearan Festival is, but if it is in September, stop by in Ashland. Drive up Interstate 5 in Oregon to get a feel for the sunny side of the Coast Ranges. Stop in Portland.

Then, yes, the Columbia Gorge experience. Stop in Seattle.

Yes, the ferry from Seattle to Canada.

Then, glorious Vancouver! What a great city!

Just to give you an idea of drive time, in the old days when Interstate 5 (the inland route) was still two-lane in Northern California, I could do the drive from Seattle to my home in the north Bay Area in about 14-16 hours straight driving. With the better road conditions today, you could probably do it in 12, but I haven't driven straight through since my "youth" long ago.

Have a great trip! It's beautiful country you'll be going through!

Oh, and even if you are not a hiker, I'd suggest doing at least one hike, like the one up Mt Rainier in Washington.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:52 AM

beela:

Great trip. We have driven it and my mom and I have taken the Amtrack Train on this route.

BTW: The Ashland Shakespeare Festival runs from Feb-Nov. You must have rsvp's for hotel and tickets if you want two or more seats together.

Happy Planning,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Easytraveler: Thanks for the kudos. Here in Mendocino County we go our own way - a couple of years ago we completely legalized marijuana (up to 30 plants or comparable amount for personal use). Both measures had the complete backing of both our Sheriff and District Attorney!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 11:29 AM

gualalalisa: You all deserve it! After all, fighting big agribusiness's $600,000 budget with a puny $100,000 and then WIN! Great job!

One foot at a time, one county at a time. We've got to keep fighting.

I get really torqued with the big agribusinesses in the Central Valley. They hog 80% of all the water usage in California and we city folks have to keep paying higher rates, just to subsidize those huge ranches. Water, the real gold of this state. And they keep producing all those genetically-modified this and genetically-modified that.

So, keep up the good fight and keep producing those organics!

Love Mendocino!