Driving coast between Seattle and San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to drive between Seattle and San Francisco. What suggestions do you have for the best scenic route, attractions/short side trips that we shouldn't miss - and great places to eat? Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:02 PM

How much time do you have? Given enough time, you could see Mt. St. Helens, the Oregon Coast, and the redwoods, and maybe even detour to Crater Lake. Most posters here would aim you at the Oregon Coast via US-101, but for food and lodging recommendations we need more information.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

We only have 4-5 days. It sounded like the total actual driving time might be about 12 hours.
Does this sound right to you?
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:37 PM

This is a good route: Seattle, Olympia, Raymond, Astoria--and then down the Oregon Coast. It is scenic, and there is much to do along the way.

Our favorite places to stay are Cannon Beach, Newport, Yachats, Bandon, and Brookings.

The most scenic stretches of 101 in Oregon are from Lincoln City to Florence and from Fort Orford to Brookings.

The drive from Brookings to Eureka is also scenic.

Visit the Redwoods.

Sanoma and Napa Valley are beautiful. Our favorite town in that region is Healdsburg.

Driving directly from Seattle to San Francisco is about 800 miles, but following this route it is closer to 1,000 miles and, with many two-lane roads, it requires 21-22 hours behind the wheel.

Highway 1 from Westport to Bodega Bay is very scenic, and the town and headlands of Mendocino is one of the highlights along this route. If you like winding roads and great ocean views--this drive is for you.

HTTY
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Twelve hours driving time sounds about right if you drive the freeway straight through...I've done it and it is no fun and certainly no vacation. With 4-5 days you can go up the coast and see some great scenery. Take highway 1 up through Petaluma and Bodega Bay past Fort Bragg until it hits 101 at Leggett, then continue on 101 to Astoria. Southwest Washington doesn't do much for me, so I would turn east to get back to the freeway and on to Seattle. You will have missed Crater Lake, but if you have time you might be able to detour over to Mount St. Helens.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Twelve hours driving time sounds about right if you drive the freeway straight through...I've done it and it is no fun and certainly no vacation. With 4-5 days you can go up the coast and see some great scenery. Take highway 1 up through Petaluma and Bodega Bay past Fort Bragg until it hits 101 at Leggett, then continue on 101 to Astoria. Southwest Washington doesn't do much for me, so I would turn east to get back to the freeway and on to Seattle. You will have missed Crater Lake, but if you have time you might be able to detour over to Mount St. Helens.

Ooops...I have your itinerary upside down. Going south I would still skip Raymond, etc and leave the freeway for the coast at Longview, but that is personal preference, not a recommendation.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions, Bobmrg and happytrailstoyou!! We certainly look forward to
catching all the scenery you mentioned - and following the route you offered. We will definitely be doing the wine country. Have never been to Healdsburg. We really appreciate the advice!
Hope your travels are taking you to some great places this summer too!
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM

Thanks, traveilngts. Yes, at the end of the month, we hit the road for ID, MT, and WY, visiting Glacier, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and staying in scenically located little towns.

Southwest Washington doesn't do much for me, so I would turn east to get back to the freeway and on to Seattle.

I'm not sure exactly what this means, but we have made this trip dozens of times and the routing I gave you is our favorite because it by-passes an annoying stretch of I-5 and it avoids a confusing connection at Longview. In addition, we like that it skirts beautiful Willapa Bay in several places and that it goes through or past little towns such as South Bend, Raymond, Montesano, Elma, and McCleary. The roads are good and we find them more intersting (and less tiring) than the Interstate.

Whichever way you go, you will enjoy the coast--it's beautiful.

HTTY
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Everyone was right - the Oregon coast is GORGEOUS!!! Our only problem was that we wanted to stop every 5 minutes to enjoy the next awesome view!!!! So, our progress toward our destination was a little slower than we had anticipated.
We highly recommend this trip!
Thanks again.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 04:17 PM

I enjoyed reading your posts, my husband and I are actually planning the same trip but in October. Any feedback on the weather that time of year. We would be taking a week (7days)
probably flying back out of Seattle.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the update.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM

We're doing the same thing in a couple of weeks, and have 10 days for the Seattle/SF route -- this is all excellent information. Can I tag along on this thread and ask if there's more to see and do, and specific places to stay? We're a family of 4 with two sons aged 7 and 9, and as yet have nothing booked for this route!
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM

time to get booking then--august is peak time along the coast! i think you'd be best off creating a new thread with what your itinerary is so far based on your research to date.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM

OK, will do - thanks!