Road trip between Seattle and San Francisco

Old Feb 6th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip between Seattle and San Francisco

We are flying into Seattle at the end of March. We plan to stay there for two days then journey down to San Francisco. We have four days free while traveling to San Francisco then we plan to stay there for about two days and fly out from there. What would be the best routes to take and things to see on our way to San Francisco?
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 04:27 PM

What would be the best routes to take and things to see on our way to San Francisco?

The coast. Crater Lake will probably be blocked by snow.
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 04:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The coast is the only reliable way. If there is a winter storm I-5 will be treacherous.
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 05:55 PM

From Seattle consider seeing the Columbia River Gorge and then drive the Oregon Coast from Cannon Beach to Brookings. From Brookings, visit the redwoods in northern California and then (if you have time and are interested) check out the Sonoma and Napa wine regions just outside San Francisco.

HTtY
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 06:34 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
By the end of March the chances of blocking snow on the I-5 corridor will be minor if any. However, the coast is the more scenic route, and only a few hours more driving time than the freeway.

With four days, I'd have a look at the following plan -

Day 1, Seattle to Eugene via the Columbia Gorge. (I-5, I-205, "Historic" Gorge Highway, I-84, I-205, I-5.)

Day 2, Eugene to Brookings or Crescent City via I-5, SR 38 and US 101.

Day 3, Brookings to Mendocino via US 101 and CA 1.

Day 4, Mendocino to SF via CA 1.

Seeing the Gorge and the waterfalls in late March is awesome, totally worth the detour at Portland.

SR 38 is the most scenic road to the coast from I-5; the Oregon coast from Port Orford to the California state line is incomparable.

Spend the bulk of the third day visiting the various redwood groves, including the "Avenue of the Giants" byway. End up back on the coast in incredibly picturesque Mendocino.

Spend the last day on the less-traveled (but gorgeous) northern portion of California Highway 1, past beautiful scenery, wildflowers, interesting towns, and culminating with the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a wonderful ride.

Here's a suggested map - http://goo.gl/maps/nPhXT
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 06:20 PM

Gardyloo has given you a great itinerary. I love it.

Bandon would be a good place to spend a night on the Oregon coast. I don't have a favorite place to stay there, but Alloro is a great place for a meal. Reserve ahead.

The little town of Garberville might be a good stop after you have seen the redwoods. The Best Western Humboldt House Inn has large rooms, a wine tasting each night, and a big breakfast in the morning. Cecil's is an unexpectedly good place for a Cajun meal! (Eureka has an colorful historic district, but it isn't as interesting a place as one might suppose.)

I love walking the Mendocino Headlands and around the delightful town of Mendocino (scenes from "East of Eden" were filmed there). I've stayed there many times, but I haven't found a place to stay or eat there that I can whole-hearted recommend.

HTtY