Reload this Page >

Driving from Salt Lake to Bryce Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Dee

Our family will be driving from Salt Lake Airport to Bryce Canyon in July. We'd like to stay somewhere along the way as we'll be traveling with an infant and are getting a late start from SLC. Are there any neat places to visit along that route? Any help would be appreciated!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 04:00 PM
GOL

Timpanogos Cave and Cascade Springs (where water/lake in a mountain surfaces, where they have a small state? park with walking area) are two side trips we took along the way down on same route.
Both are near each other; Beautiful Drive. Never thought we'd get to the Springs,as you seem to go on and on an on.

Just W of the airport on I-80 in Saltair is a 'visitor center along the exit' for the Great Salt Lake. So you can say you saw/smelled it. Also may consider a short drive/walk thru Temple Square in downtown SLC, ground zero for the LDS church (Mormons). Informative and historic. Both are not far from the airport and can be done before heading down.

If you drive thru, you may have the pleasure of waking up to beautiful red hills all around you.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 04:03 PM
GOL

Also Bingham Canyon (?) Copper Mine - World Largest. They give tours. You may see it (concentric circles) out of the plane window on the way in. They did a crew cut on the top of a mountain...

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 04:05 PM
GOL

Also Bingham Canyon Copper Mine. Worlds Largest. Gives Tours. They did a crew cut on a mountain top and began digging. You may see it from the plane

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Dee

Thanks for the info -- any advice on places to stay the night?

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:55 AM
GOL

We stayed in Kanab, UT. We were going to the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon - you may be a little off course for Bryce.

The Best Western in Kanab was very good (and basic).

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Al Godon

For the record, if the Interstate mess around Salt Lake City has been resolved by the time you get there, it takes about 5 to 5.5 hours to drive to Bryce Canyon from the SLC airport once you get rolling. Of course traffic problems can alter that figure.
I think my wife, travelling alone, made the run in 5 hours last June. But she is not known for being a pokey driver!!

I am not sure I follow your logic. You are getting a late start, so you want to delay your arrival at Bryce even more by detouring to a side attraction?
Hmm. Explain please.

Kanab is well down the road from the turn south of Panguitch that leads to Bryce Canyon, about 65 miles farther.
I see no reason to go to Kanab if Bryce Canyon is your target.

Driving west to see the open pit mines will really delay your arrival at Bryce.
Besides, I think they are ugly scars on the surface of the earth.

If you want to stay overnight in Salt Lake City itself, there are a few attractions to see, such as the Mormon Tabernacle. As for motels, I like Homestead Village, Sugar House property.
It has good security and each room has a little kitchen with cook top, dishes, and a refrigerator.

I am assuming that you have a reservation for the night at Bryce. If you don't, hopefully you can find one at one of the motels near the park entrance, or in Panguitch. Bryce Canyon Lodge filled up for July before Christmas.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Dee

Thanks for the info -- we have a reservation for Bryce Canyon lodge, but could only get one night -- didn't see the sense in using 1/2 a day's drive to get somewhere when we don't have a place to stay. Know of anywhere in the "Fishlake Forest" area?

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 11:10 AM
Phyllis

Hi Dee,
Temple Square would be a great place to visit as would This Is The Place Heritage Park with the Old Deseret village (a living history museum)if you stay in Salt Lake, but sounds like you need to be on your way south.
Check out The Bed & Breakfast Inns along I-15 for any who are family friendly, much more pleasant than hotels!
I stayed at the Canyon Livery B & B in Tropic, just out of Bryce,and loved it. (www.canyonlivery.com)
Call the Utah Travel Council (800-200-1160) for an accomodations guide. I have a Bed & Breakfast but am 45 minutes off your route.
It may be hot down there in July, so on your way back, try some cool mountain
scenery on hyw 89 and see Big Rock Candy Mt. Also Cove Fort near Richfield is interesting.
Skyline Drive is out of your way, but beautiful flowers and lakes and cool!
I am from Florida and love the mountains and wide open spaces here.
Good luck!