Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving from Orlando to Key West...How Long???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 11:36 AM
colin

my wife and i are coming over to the u.s.a.from scotland for a holiday later this month.we are spending a week in orlando, then we are travelling down to key west for a week,before returning to orlando for the last 6 days.
we were wondering how long the journey should take and should we consider flying.any info. would be great.
thanks colin and wilma

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 11:54 AM
susan

The trip from Miami to Key West is about 4 hours, and according to Mapquest.com, the trip from Orlando to Miami is about the same. In other words, you should plan on at least 7 hours or more in the car. You might consider flying from Orlando or Tampa straight down to Key West. One other thing...the Fantasy Fest celebrations in Key West start October 19th and last until October 27th, so if you planned on going down then, you might find it impossible to get accommodations.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 11:58 AM
colin

susan
thank you very much for your reply.we have booked into the galleon resort.
colin

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 12:14 PM
lena

It is a very long and boring drive. If you can afford to fly it would be worth it so you can spend your time partying rather than driving....

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 12:16 PM
x

even though it costs,the Turnpike is a good way to avoid the Interstate traffic(which can be a nightmare)..brings you out in Homestead/Florida City and on to Key West....

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 12:47 PM
susan

Colin - I think you will LOVE the Galleon! With the exception of this year, my husband and I usually spend a couple of weeks in the fall and another ten days to two weeks in the spring at the Galleon. The condos are fully furnished and have great balconies overlooking either the Gulf or the marina. Have fun!

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 05:21 AM
rob

it takes us about 4 1/2 hours to travel from orlando to florida city....the last town before hitting the first key. at this point the road has only 2 lanes and can become very congested if theres an accident or a special event that weekend. the drive from key largo to key west is so scenic you might find yourself driving very slow regardless.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 10:43 AM
x

even though it`s a pain in can ride..I still might do it the 1st time(drive to Key West)..it`s an adventure.....unless it`s costing you an arm and and a leg to keep the rental car...maybe see the difference between the cost of rental car and flight down to KW....if staying in Old Town(which you want to do,not new town)...yo don`t need a car.....you can walk...it`s probably another 4hr drive to KW from Floida City....2 lane highway...sometimes slow going....

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 12:07 PM
colin

thanks everybody for the info. i think wilma and i will drive from orlando to key west, as the airfares are almost as much as flying from glasgow to orlando.
unless anyone knows of a cheap airline( fares not crappy )
thanks again for all your help.
if any of you guys are in key west,i will buy you a beer.
cheers colin

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Celeste

I make this drive frequently and my personal record (driven in the middle of the night) is 6 hours. It has also taken (in the middle of the day) as much as TWELVE hours due to traffic, accidents, and road construction. So I would plan on eight and hope for the best.