Search

Amtrak Auto Train

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2012, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amtrak Auto Train

We just booked a R/T on the Auto Train, Sanford, Florida - Lorton, Virginia.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. What, when, why? or any other info?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM

Perhaps you will find some of what you're looking for here:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/amtrak-autotrain-lorton

HTTY
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
You can read a lot more about it if you type in auto train in the search forums box at the top of the page. There was a recent thread.
I take it that you are "snowbirds" that don't want to drive north this year.
Many snowbirds send their car on a car carrier and fly to Florida the next day and have their car waiting for them in the city where they live.
I never rode the auto train but have taken the Meteor from Washington to KIS.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done it more than once; just did it northbound last week. What exactly do you want to know? And yes, I know you aren't snowbirds
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Just want to know about the boarding process. Do we really have to show up 2 hours before departure if we have an oversize vehicle? and if so what can we do at the stations, Sanford and Lorton, for 2 hours? and any other info would be great. Also, can we get on the train once we give them the vehicle and enjoy the lounge or restaurant?

The reason I ask is because when I took the Tampa-New Orleans trip few years back, The Tampa station had nothing to offer except a little sitting area.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 07:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Call 1800USARAIL when Julie answers, ask to speak to an "agent".
The agent can answer your questions on the phone or by email.
The loaders have to load the larger vehicles first.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Well now that we have our trip all booked with stops in Washington D.C., Philadelphia,, New York, Pittsburgh?(maybe as it's my wife's aunt that has cancer and maybe she will not be around in June) and finally a state park half way between Pittsburgh and Lorton, what can anybody recommend to see or experience along the way?

This will be 2 week trip from the train station in Lorton to the train station in Lorton, VA.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

topping.

Still want to hear about any ideas when we drive around the area.

Lorton, Washington D.C, Philadelphia, NYC, Pittsburgh, and finally a state park ~1/2 way between Pittsburgh and Lorton.

Any suggestions? Just looking for ideas.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 06:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As to showing up with an oversized vehicle (one of ours qualifies)...yes you do have to be there NLT 2PM as I recall or there is the threat of not being loaded.

As to what you can do at those two stations once your vehicle is loaded. In Sanford there is a local tour bus which will carry you around the town and point out highlights for free. Otherwise, get to town early and do it all on your own. The station itself has the usual restrooms and an overpriced sundry shop. Lorton is the same way with the same amenities; seats are comfortable enough and there is continuous CATV.

You can usually board the train around 2:30 PM and occupy the spaces before the scheduled departure at 4.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Regarding things to do during your two- week trip - going to Lorton, Washington D.C, Philadelphia, NYC, Pittsburgh, and finally a state park , is plenty! There are so many things to do in Phila., Pittsburgh, and New York alone, that you'll find that you didn't spend enough time there. There are many, many historical sites in Philly, and well as many wondeful museums. The same holds tru for Pittsburgh. As far as NYC, you could spend a week there and not see it all, so I think just keeping to those places will find you exhausted by the time you get to the train.

Also, if you are getting coach seats, it is best to board early, and not wait until just befor ethe train leaves. Be aware that there are some trains specifically for people without children. That means that the trains for families are filled (and I mean filled ) with kids. When we went by autotrain several years ago, we stayed in the non-children car. When we walked though the cars with kids, it was actually pretty funny - looked like a tornado had hit the place with kids and toys and blankets everywhere. We are planning on using the autotrain this summer - we're going to try getting a bedroom this time. We couldn't sleep at all in the regular seats, though they are soft and comfy.