car or train from new york to florida

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car or train from new york to florida

I'm considering driving to Miami at the end of March and originally thought I'd take the train. I will need a car once I get there though and am now thinking of driving. It seems that it is a trip that will take at least 2 full days. Any advice, suggestions, descriptions of your own trips are appreciated.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Go to freetrip.com for milage, time, and hotels along the way.

Alternative is to drive to Lorton, VA and take the autotrain to Florida.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Where does your trip originate and how long will you be there?

An aquaintance of mine wished to try Amtrak and drove from near Albany NY to Lorton, then Auto-train, then drove to Orlando from Sanford, just south of Jax -- (a LONG drive to Miami) ... by himself for a 5 day visit. He should have just taken Amtrak coach and/or sleeping car all the way then rented a car once there.

I like Amtrak, some people don't. If you've not yet tried the train, you might want to plan on taking it only one way, then flying back. Using Tri-Rail, it's not too hard nor expensive to get to Ft Lauderdale International, where many flights are less expensive than from Miami (the "Southwest effect"). I'm not trying to talk you out of the train ... just warning you that you may, or might not, find it a pleasent experience.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 08:15 PM

I haven't taken this particular train trip, but my trip via rail from Savannah GA to Wash DC was not something I wish to do again. It's a long trip and if you are not compatible with your traveling companions it can be even longer. And if the bathrooms are not cleaned regularly...
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 11:45 PM

I took the train from Winter Park to Philadelphia in October. I was very disappointed with the experience (and I like trains). If I ever have to make that trip again, I will either drive or fly. The train was several hours late, as is the norm on that route (I don't care that it's not often not Amtrak's fault, it's still late!) and the food served for dinner was nearly inedible.
If you've never taken a long train ride, you will probably find the trip boring (you pass much of the most interesting scenery after dark). If you've ever taken long train rides in Europe (which I do all the time, as I live in Europe), you'll be VERY disenchanted.
I posted a review here of the train ride--will top it for you.