Info on amtrak car train from Washington DC to Orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering taking the auto train from Washington DC to Orlando to finish a car trip my wife and I are taking.
We would do this instead of driving back to Tampa.
I would appreciate any stories or advice on taking this train with our car.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 12:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
You get the train at Lorton Va. Drive the speed limit close to the station, speed cameras. You should get the sleeper car as it is nice, No bathroom but comfy. Bathroom is shared by those in your train car. Downstairs there is a shower. Free, tea, coffee etc in your car. Do tip your steward. They will make up your bed when you go to dinner which is included with the sleeper car. You get into Sanford, Florida, wait as they offload your car and then you are on your way.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 03:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You do NOT have to "share the bathroom" in every case on the AutoTrain. Some of the sleeping compartments have their own bathroom as well as a shower but they cost more.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We stopped taking the Autotrain a few years ago, when a one way journey cost over $800 for two people and a roomette (private room, but no bathroom). The cost does vary, so it can be only half that price. If you are impatient, you may find the waiting around annoying. You must arrive at Lorton at least two hours prior to departure and when you arrive in Sanford it can take an hour for your car to come off the train. (You may pay extra for Priority Vehicle Offloading).
Our plan is to go back to using the Autotrain this year, as we drive south from Ontario each winter and the 1,000 miles of driving that is saved is, on balance, worth it!
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 06:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you live in or around Tampa? My thought is that it would be easier and cheaper to drive from the north to Tampa in 3 days. If you just want to go to Florida, take one of the other trains from Washington DC to Florida and rent a car there or buy a cheap Florida car depending on how long you are going to stay.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 09:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Dukey, forgot about the swanky suites downstairs with the bathrooms. I have used it when going to Annapolis to get dogs. My husband has used it when doing motorcycle trips up north to save time one way. We would have cocktail hour while waiting to take off once. Free wine and snacks. If on a Sunday they had to stop serving alcohol while going through one county in Ga.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry, Macross, but those really out of date Superliner accommodations are not what i would call 'swanky" but that's obviously subjective. Yes, it beats driving but I think flying cheaply and renting a car is a better option for many. Airlines like JetBlue and even Southwest from DC offer plenty of choice and in a lot less time than the Autotrain.