driving from Nashville to NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just hoping someone would have suggestions on the fastest route to NYC. We will be traveling by truck and are looking for the quickest way (it doesn't necessarily have to be the easiest).

I've done it once before and have taken 40W to 81S to 78W to I-95 to Goethals Bridge to Verrazano but am not sure if there is a faster way or what I have to take once I cross over the Verrazano to get into NYC.

Thx!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:23 PM

There are three main ways:

40/81/78 is 886 miles.
65/71/70/PATP is about 911 miles.
65/71/80 is about 944 miles.

The fastest way is mostly likely option 1, as it's shortest. But it also has the most hills to climb, so if you have a underpowered truck, that may slow you down. Also, no radar detector in VA, and you have 323 miles of I-81 in that state.

[Personally, I like I-80, but that's not the question you asked.]

As for inside NYC - where are you going, exactly? The best route will depend on where you're going. It makes little sense to take the Verrazano if you're going into Manhattan, for example.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:18 PM

freetrip.com shows 886 miles, 13:38 using option 1 and going through the Holland Tunnel. Keep in mind that if you take the V bridge, you cannot use a truck on the Belt Pkwy.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

I am going to the lower east side in Manhattan.

I think we will take the 40W/81S/78W/85 route but I am unsure what to do when I approach NJ to get into Manhattan with a truck.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:55 AM

40/81/78. 78 to route 1 north in Newark
for 6 miles to Pulaski Skyway east 3 miles to Holland Tunnel and into Manhattan. It's all there at freetrip.com.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Now, what kind of truck are you talking about? A 53-ft trailer that's 13'6" tall? Or a small U-Haul?

If it's not overheight for Holland Tunnel (12'6", I believe), then that's the shortest and fastest way. If it will not fit under a tunnel, then you really need to do some extensive investigation, as there are lots of low underpass around the city.

I was a truck driver, and we don't deliver anything inside Manhattan (or Chicago) because of that.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:32 AM

The only way for supersize trucks to get into Manhattan from New Jersey is the George Washington Bridge. the trick is - from there you cannot take any of the highways (Henry Hudson parkway, Harlem river Drive etc - because the truck will be too large. You would need to take the first exit off the bridge into Manhattan onto the local streets - I think its 176th st - but can't be sure. You would then have to take local roads downtown - which would take about an hour.

(Assume you don;t have any sort of actual oversize load - those must be approved by the Bridge authorities in advance - and are allowed over the bridge only in the middle of the night (I think 1 to 5am) so they don;t back up traffic.)

You also need to be careful because in residential areas of Manhattan trucks are limited to certain streets - southbound you can take Broadway- but should really stick to Columbus Ave - the official truck route. Trucks are not allowed on Central Park West, Riverside Drive or West End Avenue. Nor are they allowed on any of the residential side streets unless making a delivery on that block. (Since there are too many cars for the # of parking spots these streets often have cars double parked - and the truck would not be able to get through - and the pollice will not be kind if you get stuck this way - locals take having a truck free neighborhood seriously - fines are $100 and up.)

Hope this doesn;t sound too confusing - as long as your truck is a normal size you should not have issues.