Search

Driving from La Conner, WA to Leavenworth WA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2018, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from La Conner, WA to Leavenworth WA

Hi,

We're going to be driving from La Conner to Leavenworth in September as part of a 10 day trip. Had planned to overnight in Winthrop but wondering if we would be better driving straight to Leavenworth and having an extra day there or is it worth stopping along the way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Laura
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 07:46 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lauradublin
Hi,

We're going to be driving from La Conner to Leavenworth in September as part of a 10 day trip. Had planned to overnight in Winthrop but wondering if we would be better driving straight to Leavenworth and having an extra day there or is it worth stopping along the way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Laura
Depends on what your plans are after Leavenworth. Presumably you'd be taking WA 20 over the North Cascades to Winthrop, then south to Leavenworth? In my own view, WA 20 is more scenic than US 2 over Stevens Pass, but not hugely so, and if it were me I'd consider using the extra day (i.e. the one you'd spend partially driving from Winthrop to Leavenworth) to take a ride on the Lady of the Lake up to Stehekin on Lake Chelan https://ladyofthelake.com/

But if you have enough time to do both, great. Do you?

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jun 1st, 2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your answer Gardyloo! We are going to stay in Winthrop for two nights now as I got accommodation in Sun Mountain Lodge. We definitely want to do the boat trip on Lake Chelan. We're booked to spend a night in Leavenworth and then head to Yakima for two nights. Is it worth spending the night in Leavenworth or should we head straight to Yakima after the boat trip on Lake Chelan?

We're from Europe and have both been to Austria so the whole Bavarian theme isn't of that much interest to us. Grateful for any advice!

Thanks, Laura
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 02:10 AM

I’d stay a night in Leavenworth because the scenery is great. The Bavarian thing is kitsch, but Leavenworth has decent lodging, outdoor recreation.

...plus, wouldn’t really want 2 nights in Yakima.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marvelousmouse
I’d stay a night in Leavenworth because the scenery is great. The Bavarian thing is kitsch, but Leavenworth has decent lodging, outdoor recreation.

...plus, wouldn’t really want 2 nights in Yakima.
Just changed our itinerary again - We have 2 nights in Winthrop and 1 night at Lake Chelan.
We have another 2 nights before we have to head back to Seattle - where should we go, if Yakima isn't that great?

Thanks! Laura
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 03:48 AM

I don’t know, what else would you like to see? What attracted you to Yakima in the first place?

with 2 nights, I’d consider Columbia River Gorge, or even adding something on the west side, like San Juan Island. I’m not clear on your itinerary so it’s difficult to say.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

I did the itinerary very quickly in January but am now reviewing it and have changed some things. Thought of Yakima as being wine country but I've seen that a lot of where we will be already is wine country so maybe we need to go further afield. Our itinerary is as follows:
Days 1-4 - Seattle
Days 5-6 - Whidby Island and Deception Pass, La Conner
Days 7-8 - Winthrop
Days 9 - Lake Chelan
Days 10-12 - ?
Day 13 - Fly home

All suggestions welcome! Thanks, Laura
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 06:23 AM

I did the itinerary very quickly in January but am now reviewing it and have changed some things. Thought of Yakima as being wine country but I've seen that a lot of where we will be already is wine country so maybe we need to go further afield. Our itinerary is as follows:
Days 1-4 - Seattle
Days 5-6 - Whidby Island and Deception Pass, La Conner
Days 7-8 - Winthrop
Days 9 - Lake Chelan
Days 10-12 - ?
Day 13 - Fly home

All suggestions welcome! Thanks, Laura
Well, if all suggestions are welcome (bad idea on this board ) here's a major re-working of the plans - just as a thought experiment. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/uzxWiWCgTX32

This does a counter-clockwise (or "anticlockwise" if you will) loop around Whidbey, then shoots across the Cascades using either US 2 or I-90 (I-90 is around two hours faster overall.) This bypasses Winthrop and Lake Chelan, and if you use I-90, Leavenworth too. Why? Because it gives you enough time to experience the astonishing variety of the Columbia Gorge, Hood River and Mount Hood areas, which to me - and I admit to being a big fan of this area - would more than compensate for the northern areas in terms of beauty, diversity, and interest. Bear with me.

The key to this plan is US 97, a remarkably lovely road for much of its length. Between Leavenworth and Ellensburg (where it merges briefly with I-82) the road travels through orchard country (lovely in September) and over Blewett Pass. Then I-82/US 97 passes through increasingly arid country (the mountains block moisture coming off the Pacific) until you're basically traversing desert shortly before descending into the Yakima Valley.

While yes, the Yakima Valley is famous for its many wineries, it's not an especially scenic area, but you travel through it quickly on I-82/US 97. Then you follow US 97 south through the Yakama Indian reservation and increasingly fabulous "old west" scenery (e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/Pa3RidLGTXk ) until you arrive at the Columbia River at Maryhill.

Close to the junction of US 97 and WA 14 at Maryhill is a replica of Stonehenge, built on the clifftops overlooking the big river. The builder, a remarkable character named Sam Hill, labored, as did many of his age, under the belief that the "original" Stonehenge was a place of human sacrifice; the replica was built as a memorial to local soldiers who had died in World War I.

Then a couple of miles west of Stonehenge is the Maryhill Museum (also built by Smith as part of a Utopian settlement that never got off the ground.) This eclectic and very pretty little museum features a number of interesting exhibits, including numerous works by Rodin (including many of the sculptor's plaster studies for later castings) as well as a fabulous collection of Native American arts, art glass, and a remarkable collection of miniature fashion mannequins commissioned by the Parisian fashion houses in 1946 in order for them to get back on their feet during postwar fabric shortages. It's a fascinating place - high culture in the sagebrush. From Maryhill it's around a 45 minute drive west along the Columbia (on the north shore, flanked by red-rock cliffs) to the bridge to Hood River, Oregon.

Hood River would be my recommended substitute for Winthrop and Chelan. Here are the reasons. First, the town itself is extremely attractive, full of galleries, breweries, wineries and with a wide range of lodging options. Second, the valley: The Hood River Valley extends south from the town toward Mount Hood. The valley floor and hillsides are covered with vineyards and orchards; the various country roads contain fruit stands, wineries, "U-pick" orchards, and country stores. The Hood River "fruit loop" drive offers numerous activities and places to drink in the views while (moderately) drinking in other things. (The area is a major and upcoming wine-producing region; there are vineyards all the way from Maryhill west to the fun and funky McMenamins Edgefield resort just east of Portland.)

Third, the mountain. Mount Hood looms above everything, like Fuji. In a fabulously scenic hour from Hood River, you can be at Timberline Lodge, an iconic 1930s creation (used in The Shining) set at the base of year-round chairlifts that will take you up to the permanent ice fields on the side of the big volcano.

Fourth, the "north side." Across the Columbia from Hood River is another valley, leading toward (but not reaching due to intervening wilderness) Mount Adams. Trout Lake (WA) is a funky little settlement with charms of its own, including marvelous hikes and views of Mt. Adams.

Fifth, the big river. Hood River sits more or less at the eastern limit of the "wet" part of the Columbia Gorge. Between Hood River and Portland are numerous waterfalls and vista points, including the famous Multnomah Falls. While access to a few of these falls (and parts of the old "historic" Columbia River Highway) is currently restricted due to fire damage last year, by September much will be available, and even if not, the areas that are accessible are more than adequate to give visitors a complete sense of the glories of this remarkable part of the US. Watch the wind surfers and kiteboarders at Hood River, or visit Herman the Sturgeon at the Bonneville hatchery. Find a copy of Woody Guthrie's Roll on Columbia to play on the car's audio system.

From there you'd return to Seattle or its airport. If time allows, spend a day or more in Portland, a magnet for foodies and hipsters (but a fascinating and historic city that really doesn't need the current hype to be a major hit with most visitors.) Or take a detour (around three hours extra driving) to visit the Johnston Ridge observatory overlooking the Mt. St. Helens volcanic caldera.

So my reworking of your schedule would go like this:

Days 1-4 - Seattle
Days 5-6 - La Conner, Deception Pass and Whidby Island
Days 7-8 - To Hood River
Days 9 - 11 Hood River/Columbia Gorge area
Day 12 - To Seattle with possible detour to Mt. St. Helens
Day 13 - Fly home

I know this is an unasked-for and major reworking of your plans, but of course it's only offered as a suggestion. I'd urge you to google these places and see what you think. To me, it would be a terrific alternative that captures some of the best parts of our fabulous corner of the US.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo - I probably should have said that I was in Oregon a few years ago and toured around there. I've been to Timberline Lodge and also did white-water rafting on the Mackenzie River. It was a great trip but I don't think I would abandon what we have already planned in Winthrop and Chelan but maybe heading down to Hood River could be an alternative to Yakima?

Thanks for the help!

Laura
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Is there any way to flip your time in Seattle? Do it at the end rather than the beginning? It’d be nice to be near the airport the night before your flight.

I think I’d probably do two nights in Friday Harbor after La Conner. Or two nights in Vancouver. Or a night in port Townsend and a night in Victoria. Or add one night to Chelan and spend one night in Leavenworth. I don’t think HR fits with your itinerary. You could certainly do it, it would be more driving than i would care to do.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 09:59 AM

I agree with MM. I would opt for Chelan and Leavenworth. Leavenworth is a place we go often, so obviously enjoy it It has changed a lot in the last ten years or so and there are some great shops and restaurants. There are a couple good breweries and tons of tasting rooms in town as well as wineries on The outskirts of town. Blackbird Island is a nice area to walk down by the river.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Thanks Gardyloo - I probably should have said that I was in Oregon a few years ago and toured around there. I've been to Timberline Lodge and also did white-water rafting on the Mackenzie River. It was a great trip but I don't think I would abandon what we have already planned in Winthrop and Chelan but maybe heading down to Hood River could be an alternative to Yakima?

Thanks for the help!

Laura
If you've been there fairly recently, then returning to Hood River is indeed a long way.

While I'm not a huge fan of Leavenworth, it IS located in some pretty terrific country. I like Lake Wenatchee, and I also like Cashmere as a pleasant little town in the middle of orchard country.

Have you visited Mount Rainier? One other option would be to head south on US 97 from Chelan and take US 12 over White Pass into MRNP. You could stop at the Grove of the Patriarchs and then travel to Paradise via the superb Stevens Canyon Road. In September you probably wouldn't have a terrible time locating accommodations in or near the park, and the drive back to Seattle or the airport is quite easy on going-home day. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/oVuzM6P3HPJ2
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the great advice. We cannot change our time in Seattle. I think we will meander back toward Seattle via Mount Rainier as we've never been there.

Really appreciate your help!

Laura