Driving from Hilo to Kona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm arriving at the Hilo airport, but my hotel is in Kona (Kona Bali Kai). How long will it take? Any advice?
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Here is a link showing a map of the three possible routes:http://www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/visit.htm

Two routes (#1 southwest passes by Volcanoes National Park or #2 northwest passes by Waimea and Starbucks~o)) are both about 120 miles or so and take ~2.5 hours. A third route (a.k.a. Saddle road) might shave some time but is not authorized for travel on the maps supplied by car rental agents (have not driven, personally).
I enjoyed travelling both routes 1&2.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:31 AM

it is true that the rental car companies will tell you that they forbid travel on saddle road, but i thought it was fine to drive (they will NOT give you any support if you break down on saddle road, so you are taking a risk there!). the road was built during the war, so it was pretty much slapped together almost haphazardly.

you will need to drive slowly and very carefully on parts of the road, esp. from mauna kea heading west (from hiko). there were blind turns and elevation gains. i would not drive this at night, as there are NO lights.

i do remember the stretch from mauna kea heading east (from hilo) was relatively flat and paved. and the scenery! it was amazing... lush where you would start in hilo, turning into a lunar landscape by mauna kea, then rolling green hills near waimea.

saddle road probably isn't any faster, since you can't drive too fast on it but it sure was an interesting drive.

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:33 AM

oops, sorry for the typos:

>heading west from hilo
>heading east TO hilo
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 07:21 AM

I'm not sure why the car rental companies forbid saddle road--it was fine. Very unusual scenery. The northwest route by Waimea is fine also and probably the fastest.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 07:30 AM

If it's during daylight that you'll be driving to Kona, I'd recommend the northern route. You'll pass through many small, lush valleys ("gulches") with waterfalls, as well as having some lovely ocean views. Others would say that if it's night, you should drive this route, too, because it's the safest.

Make sure you snorkel at Kahaluu beach; it's very convenient to your condo. The beach doesn't look like much, but the numbers and variety of fish are amazing.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Another possible issue with the Saddle Road is that there's an army base on it and you can easily get stuck behind a convoy. The road is quite narrow and it's basically impossible to pass them. Obviously it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen, and if you've just landed and you're trying to get to your hotel, you can be significantly delayed.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 08:04 AM

If you are arriving close to dark, I would advise staying the first night in Hilo, as you are unfamiliar with the roads. That would give you the chance to drive over during the day and enjoy the incredible beauty of the Big Island. The northern route mentioned above will take approximately 2 1/2 hours. You could stop at Akaka Falls and the Wiapio Valley overlook on the way. Also you would pass through painiolo country, Wiamea. The southern route will take approximately three hours and takes you past Volcano National Park and Punalu'u, the black sand beach. Have a great time! I don't suggest the Saddle Road, and definately not in the dark.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into by flying to Hilo. However, now it seems like it's going to be an adventure. Thanks again.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:00 AM

I remember the road from Kona to the volcano filled with twists and turns. Take your drammamine if you get car sick! If this is at night, get a room in Hilo and make the drive in the morning.

Yes, take your time, and enjoy some sights if time permits. Why are you flying into Hilo anyway? This is about a two-three hour drive, don't be in a hurry, everyone is on Hawaii time.

PIck up the book: "Hawaii, the Big Island Revealed", it has cool tips and maps for not missing the great points of interest along the way, and there are many!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Topping for Cica