Search

Drive Kona to Hilo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Jay

Drive Kona to Hilo

Does anyone know if the drive from Kona to Hilo is shorter by going the Northern route, or by going South through Volcano National Park? Any idea on distance or driving time?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Chuck

We went in a circle but I am fairly certain the Northern route to Hilo is faster. Don't you want to see the volcano?

When we were there they still allowed the small gumball helicopters that went directly into the eye of the volcano - it was amazing! The heat almost singed the hair on our arms.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Postal

The shortest way is usually on the Saddle Road which runs between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea almost across the middle of the island. Sometimes the road has military convoys traveling the road (Pohakuloa Training area is a major Army training base) and that can slow you down, and some of the rental companies ask you not take their cars on it, but I've never had a problem.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Russell Farquer

Jay...
Kona to Hilo northern route 120 miles
Kona to Hilo southern route 140 miles
Kona to Hilo via Saddle Road 100 miles.
(as noted Saddle Road is not recommended as rental cars are usually not permitted--contract with rental company)

It takes approx 2 1/2 hours travel time on either route.

I think the northern route is more scenic--but that is just an opinon. Both are two lane roads - except for a few miles before Hilo on the southern route.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:18 AM
michelle

I would recommend taking the northern route there and the southern route home. We spent one whole day doing this trip but well worth it... started in Kona... made stops at Akaka Falls, Hilo, the volcano and then to the black sand beach which is at the southern tip of the island. We were exhausted by the end of the day but it was well worth it! Next time I would pass on Hilo, not much to see there and usually very rainy. Have fun and enjoy!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 06:26 PM
p.

Just curious, why would the saddle road not be permitted ?

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 04:25 PM
rarely

Anyone ? A good question ...

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Postal

Supposedly it's dangerous because it's narrow and there are sometimes military convoys slowing down the other drivers, but I've driven it perhaps 20 times and never had a problem - whether or not it was restricted in my rental car contract.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 06:29 PM
p.

Thanks Postal.. did some rummaging around, it's apparently in very poor condition in places as well.

http://users.erols.com/ovoss/HI-road-photos-Saddle-Road.htm

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/html/sites/saddle_road.html

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Chuck

The car rental contracts specifically warn against taking their cars on Saddle Road. So, if something happens to your car on that road....good luck.

Hilo was nothing special - I agree with the other poster. I don't know what the present restrictions are at Volcano National Park, but if you cannot get up close and personal with it, don't take a very, very long drive.