Driving from cody to west yellowstone

Sep 23rd, 1999, 02:39 PM
Carol

Driving from cody to west yellowstone

I was planning to leave cody in the morning drive to Red Lodge and then take the Beartooth Hwy to Cooke City and from there to West yellowstone. I would like to know if anyone has done this and how long do you think it will take.

Sep 24th, 1999, 03:41 AM
dave

Hi. I've done it a LOT. You don't say how your going through the park, so if you are planning on seeing a lot of the sights on the way through, that will add time. If you stop often, which you will, it will be a full day.

Cody to Red Lodge is less than an hour straightaway. But from Red Lodge, the rest of the way will be slow going because of scenery.

Rather than the straightaway route, might I suggest a WORTHWHILE alternative. North of Cody (on Hwy 120) about 16 miles, the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway (Hwy 296) goes off to the west. This will take you over Dead Indian Pass and into Sunlight Basin. You can follow this road until intersects Hwy 212. Then you go right (North) over the Beartooth highway into R.L. (or even hold up a few miles short of town) Then turn around and go back over the Beartooth for another view. No, this is not a direct route, and you are backtracking. But the Beartooth is worthy of 2 trips, and this way, you get to see the road through Sunlight Basin, which is my FAVORITE road anywhere !!!! (and few people know about it......til now!!)

Good luck. Let me know if I can help further!!