Driving from Baltimore to Orange, VA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to see Luray Caverns, experience a little bit of Skyline drive, and visit Monticello, Montpelier, and Ashlawn Highland. We'll leave from BWI in the morning and need to get to Orange for our hotel reservation there that night. We are traveling in mid-November (if that makes a difference for the roads). We don't need a lot of time at the the President's homes (I'm thinking 2hrs. for Monticello and about an hour each at the others) and we can leave some things for the next day if we need to, before we head to Williamsburg. Does anyone have a suggested driving route? I have a map, but it looks like there are a few options for traveling there, and I would appreciate advice from those who know the roads. Thanks.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 12:43 PM

You have two choices to get to Skyline Drive (Front Royal).

From BWI take I-95 south to I-495 west to I-66 to route 340 through Front Royal to the Drive, or I-70 out of Baltimore to I-81 south to I-66 east to Front Royal. Second choice is about 30 miles/1/2 hour longer, but you avoid the Washington Beltway traffic in MD & VA and I-66 traffic in Fairax and Prince William Counties. I would opt for I-70, I-81, and I-66. 2 1/2 hours compared to 2 hours or more depending on the beltway traffic. It is also more scenic.

From Front Royal, it's not too long a drive on Skyline Drive before route 211 east to Luray, so you might want to stay on the Drive for a while and then backtrack. The driving time depends on how many overlook stops you make.

It should just take just a little over two hours from Luray to Orange.

You can check these segments at freetrip.com. Welcome to Virginia and enjoy your stay.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 12:50 PM

I want to suggest another alternative route. Out of Baltimore, you take I-70, but then take US340 South at Frederick. Fast route and you can stop at Harper's Ferry if you want. Take VA7 to jump back on I-81 at Winchester.

Might not save time over I-70/81, but shorter, and a little more interesting.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 12:52 PM

In fact, you can stay on US340 to Front Royal, which will connect you to the northern entrace of Skyline Drive. Get off Skyline Drive at US211 (Thorton Gap), and head down to the Luray Caverns.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

It looks like I-70 is the best way out of Baltimore, with the least traffic. I'll look into the Harper's Ferry suggestion to see which way we want to go from there. Thank you!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:55 AM

An outstanding place for dinner in Orange, is the Bavarian Inn. This place knocked our socks off -- for some reason we didn't expect to find a German restaurant out there with such great ambiance, very reasonable prices and fantastic food. (Don't order too much, the portions are quite large). Our other fav is the restaurant at the Barboursville winery -- it is expensive but well worth it.