Driving distance SanDiego 2 L A

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving distance SanDiego 2 L A

Hello. Can someone tell me approximately how long the driving time between San Diego and Los Angeles is. Specifically LAX Airport. What would be the best route. It would be on a Wednesday to catch at 940 am flight.
Thanks.
Janine Long Island NY
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Depending on where you are starting in San Diego. That's 2-2 1/2 hours, not including traffic slowdowns. Coming north on a workday morning, you have to assume there will be slowdowns. If you gave yourself an extra hour it might or might not be enough. It depends day-to-day.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:43 PM

You also have to factor in the sometimes loooooog security lines at. LAX. Especially on weekday mornings. And are you turning in a rental car? If so, add another 30+ minutes

So assuming you want to be at LAX by 7-7:30 a.m. at the latest, you would want to be on the I-5 freeway out of SD by about 4 a.m. or even a bit earlier.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 10:00 PM

Are you coming on the 9:40 to Hawaii? We used to do this flight about 4 times a year until Hawaiian started flying direct from San Diego. Allow at LEAST 2.5 hours on top of your 2 hour security time. I'd give myself 3 hours of driving time to allow for any big accidents or construction. It happens a lot.

Better choice: Drive up the evening before, leaving about 6pm to avoid rush hour in San Diego. Stop to eat in San Juan Capistrano or nearby.

Take the toll road (73?) shortcut just north of there, then stay at an airport hotel. You can return your rental car that evening as most of the hotels (even the budget ones) have free, direct shuttles to the terminals.

We used to like the Wyndam because it was the first hotel off the airport, but it got pretty rundown a few years ago. I heard it was being sold though? Switched to the Courtyards at Marriot or the Sheraton. Have not done this ride in 2 years now, but sister used this route a couple months ago.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 11:57 PM

I second the recommendation to spend the night up by LAX. I would suggest leaving San Diego even a little later than 6 pm, as you never know how bad northbound traffic can be on I5. Take the tollroad (73) as lcuy suggested. It cuts off just south of Mission Viejo and then connects with the 405 in Costa Mesa/Santa Ana. From there just stay on the 405 to LAX.

Otherwise, I would give myself 3 hrs to get to LAX although it might only take 2.5. A lot of the way you'd be going against rush hour traffic but the honest truth is this is So. Calif and there is traffic everywhere that time of the morning. I know that whenever either myself or my friends have an early morning LA flight, we always go up the night before. It really takes off the stress of getting there in time.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. This is what I was afraid of. I was trying to avoid moving luggage from one hotel to another just for one evening but I must agree that is the only way to do it. I will do a search for hotels near the airport to check into.
Yes, I am taking th 940 am to Honolulu. I didn't book with Hawaiian because I was doing a 3 legged ticket on Continental and it was not an option. Thank you so much for confirmation.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:16 AM
ltt

one time i drove it and it took me 3 1/2 hours cause the traffic was horrendous. luckily i was just picking someone up, not catching a flight. i'd consider doing it if i planned on being at LAX by around 6:00 a.m. before the traffic gets going. then go waste an hour at a restaurant for breakfast.
otherwise, go up the night before. it will be much more relaxing. i'd leave san diego around 3:30, drive up to laguna beach for a nice dinner and then leave there around 7:00 p.m. to drive to your airport hotel.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:47 AM

Everyone forgot to mention the possibility of the Border Patrol check point being open. That can add another 10 to 15 minutes depending on how backed up it gets.

The best option is to stay near the airport the night before. We like the Renaissance up there.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:47 AM

Everyone forgot to mention the possibility of the Border Patrol check point in San Clemente being open. That can add another 10 to 15 minutes depending on how backed up it gets.

The best option is to stay near the airport the night before. We like the Renaissance up there.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

We'll I'm sold. I booked a room at the Sheraton LAX. Now the question is. We will be in SanDiego now from Sat early day until Tuesday not sure of time depending on when we leave. The plan was to do Sea World, Zoo, Legoland all or some of them during this time. Since we are leaving on Tuesday now and don't have the whole day, would it make sense to do Knotts Berry Farm on Tuesday. Isn't that on the way to L.A? We are not a get there when it opens and stay till it closes type. We just like to do these parks leisurely. My son is 7 and autistic so he just goes with the flow. Ideas? Or shall we just take it easy at the beach on Tuesday instead. He would love that too.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:49 AM

Since you have a guaranteed room near LAX and can get there any time -- I'd just go w/ the flow. With your son's situation you will know better at the time whether a stimulating day at Knott's BF, a picnic/romp on the beach or whatever will be best.

You can stay down in SD til early evening and then drive up to LA, or you can go to Knotts Berry Farm and then head to the hotel when you and your son are ready.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Yes I think so too. We don't plan so definite because you just never know. Is Knotts Berry about half way would you say? Or closer to LAX?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM

Knott's is closer to LAX geographically, although by no means all that close (I want to say it's 30 miles away on the freeway). From San Diego, you could go I-5 north to La Palma, take it west to Knott's; then up Beach to CA-91, take it west to end, continue on Artesia west to I-405 north, take that up to Century, head west to Airport. I think you're staying at a Four Points Sheraton, right?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Yes Four Points Sheraton. Thanks for the directions. Now at least I have an option for a few things to do. I can't wait. It's not until August but that will be here soon enough. Thank you.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Thought I'd let you know...we stayed at Sheraton Four Points in December. Had a good rate for an airport hotel and they do have a shuttle to the airport. The public rooms are ok, but our room could have just as easily have been in a Motel 6. (We did see stacks of new mattress on our floor, so some refurbishment is ongoing). Figured for one night it was ok and we had to be out by 5:30 am for a flight east. My point, however, is that there is a shuttle that runs people over to the beach and malls, etc, from the airport area just in case the idea of KBF doesn't pan out and you need an alternate idea. Have fun in Hawaii!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM

I am going to San Diego to meet someone, and the flights to Santa Ana Aiport are a lot cheaper. Is it even worth it to fly into Santa Ana and then go on to San Diego? How would I get to San Diego, shuttle, bus...etc?
Thanks!!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM

The best way and cheapest way would be to rent a car and drive to San Diego. There is not any shuttle that runs on a regular basis but you could hire one or a limo to take you. I am not sure of the cost but would probably be over $100 each way so doubt you would end up saving any money by flying into Orange County Airport.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:27 AM

I'd like to follow-on with the post for SNA airport.

I'd also like to find out what people do OTHER than driving to get to LAX from SAN. It is my understanding that renting a car one way MAY be the best option because of lack of shuttles between LAX and SAN.