Driving distance from Yellowstone to GTNP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Yellowstone in mid-July. We are flying into Bozeman and staying in Big Sky. We would also like to drive down to the Tetons, but I am wondering how long this drive would take from the West entrance. Is it do-able in one day or should we plan to spend a night in the park? Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:58 AM

From the West entrance, it's probably doable in a day but will depend on what you want to do. If you just want to take the Loop through GTNP with some occasional stops but no hikes, boat trips etc, you're probably OK. With the summer crowds, don't plan on making good time (which you probably don't want to do anyway since the scenery and wildlife are pretty amazing). Distances in miles don't mean much since traffic can be slow and diversions are many. Without any long stops, I'd count on at least an hour and that can vary greatly.

I'd really recommend spending at least one night in GTNP. We've really enjoyed Jackson Lake Lodge and Jenny Lake Lodge.

BTW, the Tetons are some of the most beautiful mountains anywhere IMO, so I'd definitely make every effort to see them.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:02 AM

Regardless of how much or how little time it takes to get to the Teton, it's definitely worth a stay of at one overnight! I agree with dfr4848, it contains some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever experience.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:46 AM

How about spending a night in the town of Jackson? My suggestion would be to leave in the morning from West Yellowstone heading to GTNP. It is hard to calculate driving time based on the mileage because of unpredictable traffic and animal jams. If there is a bear (or bison, wolf, elk) near or on the road traffic stops for as long as the animal is there. This can be fun, but not if you are on a schedule!

If you dont stay at the Jackson Lake Lodge, at least stop there for a break. Walk the grounds, maybe have lunch in the restuarant with the huge windows that overlooks Jackson Lake and the Tetons. UNBELIEVABLE view. You will be mesmerized, its unavoidable!

Continue south to GTNP and stop at a visitor center to get info on the park and decide what to see and do.

Sightsee working your way south to Jackson. Maybe 10-15 miles south of GTNP. Really a cool little town. Eat, shop, relax.

Head back to Yellowstone the next day. Do/see things you didnt get to the previous day. It wont feel like backtracking. Like most, you will be in awe of the beauty and likely want to stay another day!

Just my suggestion. This July will be the 4th summer in a row that we will vacation in the YNP/GTNP area.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I know we won't be able to see everything we want in one week, but it sounds like the Tetons should definitely be on our list.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:58 PM

Another option for Grand Teton lodging is Signal Mountain Lodge. Right in the park - fantastic location and view (they have all kinds of lodging). We loved it so much we never even made it into Jackson : )