Big Sky to Jackson Hole?

Search

Big Sky to Jackson Hole?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Sky to Jackson Hole?

Friends are planning a trip from Big Sky going through Yellowstone, the Tetons and a visit to Jackson Hole. How much time would it take to drive round trip and how long would you recommend - sight seeing w/ major hikes.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM

This is not a long drive at all. In fact, if you were a trucker or a delivery guy you would do that round-trip in a day.

That is the beauty of the area -- you'll spend most of your time outside enjoying nature instead of driving. I would break up the trip in the following way:

1. Day 1: Big Sky, ski resort, do some of the summer activities such as rides up the mountain, etc. On a clear day, you can see the Tetons from the Big Sky summit.

2. Day 2: Start early, drive through Yellowstone. Stop for a couple 1-2 hour hikes, see the sights. Make your way to Jackson by evening.

3. Day 3: Explore Jackson and the Tetons. Do a hike or two, but don't overlook the town of Jackson -- you'll find some good restaurants and lodging there.

4. Day 4: Do a nice, leisurely drive back from Jackson, through Yellowstone, to Big Sky. You'll literally be back at Big Sky within 30 minutes of leaving Yellowstone, so you can really milk this day and not worry about getting to Big Sky late.

If I only had three days, I'd cut out the Big Sky activities (you can also ride up the mountain at Jackson Hole).

If I had another day, I'd definately add one day to spend more time in the Tetons.

http://www.familyskihub.com
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I cannot comment on "Big Sky". Is that a town or what? Montana itself is called "Big Sky Country", of course.

In my opinion, I'd not recommend that anyone "drive through" Yellowstone, unless they wanted to miss most of the sights! Yes, you CAN drive through to get to Jackson, Wyoming, but, gee, you'd miss a lot. However, the recommendation that you drive one way down ONE side of the loops and come back on the other has some merit. Just plan to stop now and then to take in some of the views and sights. For example, Old Faithful is something to see, as are other geysers in there, and it does not erupt constantly; you have to wait for its periodic spout!

We were there 2 years ago and spent 3 days in and around there. Yellowstone "sights" are on all sides of a figure 8 pair of loops, and there are a lot of things to see, most of which involve stopping and getting out of the car.

We eventually drove down to Jackson (aka Jackson's Hole), and spent a night or two there. (I agree on some good places to eat, certainly picturesque places, at least.) Going to or from Jackson you will want to pause to take in the beauty of Jenny Lake and the Tetons, which ARE a spectacular sight!

By the way, as you drive into or out of Jackson, you will see an interesting building set up high along the road, and this is (as I recall) the National Museum of Animal Art or something like that!

Enjoy your trip, however you do it.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 10:18 AM

I suppose one can "drive through" here, but that to me would be a waste. I'd spend at least a couple days each exploring Yellowstone and Grand Teton, plus at least a day in Jackson.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM

You haven't told us have long they have budgeted for this trip.

If what you've implied is true, then they are going to be very upset that no one told them NOT to do it all in one day.

It's an incredible area in so many ways, not to be rushed. Most of us spend a full week in that area and wish we had more time.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Hi, I'm considering this trip as well but would have to fly (from LA)... what airports or route would be the best with that in mind?