Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving direction for SF to Yosemite please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Can anyone help with the best route for driving from San Francisco to Yosemite. We will be leaving Union Square area on a Wednesday AM and want to stop for breakfast en-route and get to Yosemite early afternoon. Tips,timings and mileage would be a great help. Thanks
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM

You'll need to come via rte 120 and the Big Oak Flat entrance, via Manteca.

Take Interstate 580 to 205 (via Tracy) and pick up 120 east of Tracy. And no, there really isn't much worth seeing, especially as it will take up time from Yosemite.
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Actually I think Mapquest provides the best driving directions. Rather than redoing this here just go to tmapquest and put in your SF address in the driving directions from box and Yosemite National Park in the to box. You'll find that it will take between 3.5 and 4 hours to get to Yosemite depending upon the traffic. For the most part you will be goin opposite of commute traffic.

Breakfast at Mimi's Cafe on Hacienda off 580 in Dublin. Here's a link to the menu:
http://www.mimiscafe.com/food.asp

Old May 14th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Hwy 120 will be the fast route into Yosemite. Hwy 140 is still closed due to a second rock slide so that is not an option at this time.

We just got back from Yosemite yesterday after spending 3 nights there. It looks like you will be having a lot of the same kind of weather we had. WARM & SUNNY & BEAUTIFUL! The waterfalls are running above normal because of the 185% snow pack and the warm weather. It was awesome.

As mlgb mentioned, I wouldn't worry about seeing anything on the way. Even though we have been dozens of times before...three days still wasn't enough time for me in Yosemite.

Utahtea

Old May 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM

There is a flood WARNING tomorrow for the Pohono Bridge in Yosemite Valley.

More info http://www.weather.gov/alerts/ca.html
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM

There was already some flooding in the North Pines Campground when we were there. Infact, we were suppose to be at one of the lower campsites in the North Pines Campground on Friday night and they moved us to Upper Pines. Midnight is when the river peaks and then goes down a little during the day. It's been pretty warm in Yosemite this last week and it looks like it will continue. The rangers were ever present in the North Pines campground watching the river.

Utahtea
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:15 PM

I just returned today. Fantastic weather and all campgrounds are full. The flooding is limited to the "normal" meadow flooding. Beautiful reflections and tremendous amounts of water. I saw a notice posted dated 5/15/06 about a fresh rockfall on 140. They were waiting for a new engineering evaluation.