Search

Driving cross country tips

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving cross country tips

Hello fellow travelers

I have decided to drive from Charlestown to San Francisco in September....I have never driven this far by myself and would love any help/info/advice that you can offer in regards to all the details such as rental cars/what to pack/things to do/road safety and my own safety.

Thanks
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Charlestown MA? If this is truly a solo trip I would look into taking 2 or 3 Amtrak trains rather than a rental car.
If you take the train, you will spend a few hours in Chicago before getting on the California Zephyr in the afternoon. I would not rent a car until Sacramento.
Are you planning on returning to the east coast? San Francisco has a very high cost of living IMO.
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:48 AM

Ignore Tom - he recos train for every trip possible and some that aren't.

Several things to consider:

Many rental agencies charge a large drop off fee - assume you are renting in Charleston SC and dropping off in SF. Do shop around to see what rates you can get.

Be sure you have in the car:

Make sure the car has all necessary fluids (I got one with almost no oil once) and that everything works (lights, wipers, locks, etc) before you drive it away

Also be sure the car has a highway flare, basic tools and extra tire in the trunk

Have a good set of paper maps (and that you can get google maps on your ipad or phone)

Listen to weather radio regularly so you are aware of any potential storms/tornados, etc (be ready to get off the road to a motel or fast food restaurant if necessary)

Never let the gas tank go below half full - since in some areas stations may be far apart

Be sure you have a cooler in the car with snacks and beverages for you - and a blanket in case you get stuck and it's cold

Assume you will be staying in motels along the way I would be sure you get one with a central lobby and doors that open only to the inside - not the type that has rows of doors out in the open (these are much less safe).

I would pick out potential places to stay in advance - and for places that will be busy (if you intend to stop at any national parks - try to get lodgings now. If you check towns now and they seem to be full already (may be for some special event) have a nearby town as an option.

Definitely get a reservation for the night when you leave each hotel in the am so there is someone expecting you to arrive each night.
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:08 AM

So you're planning to rent a car for the drive? I;m not sure about this, but I think rental car contracts limit total mileage--or do they?? Anyway, I'd make sure. And check the drop off fee. And budget appropriately for the price of gas.

Do you have a time limit? Are you planning to stop for a day or longer along the way?
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:23 AM

No limits on mileage I've ever had in recent years.
We need more info.
I think the advice to never let gas get below half is a little over the top. Interstates have all the stops you could ever want.
I would get a gps system that tells what is in the area--also traffic backups (like Waze for the phone).
If this is a pleasure/sightseeing trip, then map the itinerary aand make some hotel bookings on booking.com or hotels.com. If you have an ipad, you can also do that on the road when you see where you will be approximately for the night.
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi all
Thanks for the info....I am planning to take 3 weeks from Charleston(SC)to Joshua Tree National Park....I will be renting car and going to have all my hotels/Airbnb booked before I leave....my stops as of now are looking like Charleston/Savannah/Nashville/Memphis/
Montgomery/Selma/OKC/Little Rock/Santa Fe/Indian Wells(for Joshua Tree)....should i do anything in particular that you feel would be good?I will be doing the most popular things at each stop but you never know if there is something else amazing to do

I'm figuring(hoping)the weather should be good in September....have AAA roadside assistance already and going to learn how to change tire before I leave...should I invest in car emergency kit?I am flying from Cali to Charleston so will be renting my car from there and going to buy supplies at Charleston Kmart or target as I will have enough to carry already in my backpack....does this sound like it might work or am I forgetting important stuff??Many thanks for the info and it is def helping me ��
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

I'm also going to Austin
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:22 PM

Be flexible. You never know what can happen along the way. Don't freak out, but before you have to give yourself some options.

Make sure all reservations can be cancelled without penalty.

It's a long way from Little Rock to Santa Fe, so pace yourself and stop frequently. I do fill the tank when it gets to half, you won't be in interstates if you go to see some of the sights along the way.

I tend to avoid cities, so I would be looking for National and State Parks to visit, but this is your trip and I hope you have a great time.
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
You probably don't live in California or you wouldn't be calling it cali. Where is your drivers license from?
Are you using a foreign based company for your rental so you don't pay a big drop fee? You might do better flying to a big airport such as Atlanta and then going to Charleston SC.
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:23 AM

Have you checked the dropoff charge yet?
A long road trip is really just a bunch of short trips put together!! LOL
Personally, I wouldn't change a tire myself if I have roadside assistance. There is more danger of a car falling off a jack these days, IMO, than losing a couple of hours waiting for the AAA to come.
Fly to Charleston as you plan, and enjoy that city without backtracking to head west.
OR if you do want to fly into a larger airport, fly into Charlotte, NC--it's only 3 hours straight shot to Charleston.
It would be interesting to see your EXACT itinererary because you have some pretty long driving days (and some very short ones) which you may need to factor into your 21 days in order not to make this trip a "drive by".
Old May 18th, 2016, 01:20 PM

I've driven cross-country in rental cars many times, and actually will also be flying into Charleston in a couple of months to start a trip (only going as far as North Dakota though). I would advise renting from one of the large reputable national chains. There have been a few times where a day or two into the trip something hasn't been quite right about the car and I've had to call the company to say I wanted a different car. They've always been happy to swap, but you want a company that's large enough that you can get to one of their locations within a few hours to make the swap. The good news is that it's extremely rare for a rental car from a reputable company to die without giving you a lot of advance warning that something is wrong.

I agree with your plan of stocking up on supplies once you get to Charleston. We do that also, and just leave most of the extras at our destination before we fly home. Since you have AAA, stop at their office in Charleston to pick up at least state maps for every state along your trip. Also, don't count on using your phone as a GPS since there are still many places where data coverage isn't good enough to display the maps. I'd bring a real GPS with the stored maps.

Try to get in the mindset that the drive is the really enjoyable part, vs. your destination each day. Definitely don't be afraid to stop on a whim. Most of my most memorable experiences are things I never planned to see. To actually see the country, I'd recommend trying to take 2-lane state and US highways that parallel the Interstates rather than the Interstates themselves for the most part. If you're 2-20 miles from the Interstate, the landscape will look very different from the Interstate but you'll still be within a few minutes of highway gas & food if you need it.
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:57 PM

I love long road trips and have been on several, some alone. Depending on the route, I wouldn't always have a reservation for every night. Motels are plentiful along interstates and you have flexibility to stay at interesting places longer and not worry about being somewhere you have reserved. Or you may want to drive farther or less far than originally planned depending on circumstances.

Secondary highways can be different as far as quantity and quality of accommodation so a reservation might make sense, especially for a single. I have called a place midday for that night when I have a better idea of my timing.
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:34 PM

Where does Austin fit in the itinerary?
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi all....thanks for all your info...this is how my road trip is looking

Fly to Charleston and stay 2 nights
Savannah for 2 nights
Montgomery for 1 night
Nashville for 2 nights
Memphis for 2 nights
Little Rock for 1 night
Oklahoma City for 2 nights
Austin for 2 nights
Lubbock for 1 night(this is to break up journey between Austin and Santa Fe)
Santa Fe for 1 night
Flagstaff for 1 night
Palm Springs for 2 nights

Anyone recommend highways to use/things to do?Thanks for all your help