Reload this Page >

Driving Across the USA

Search

Driving Across the USA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Lara

Driving Across the USA

I am planning a trip to drive across the US with three friends after I graduate college this upcoming Spring. I am very eager on making this trip, but I don't even know where to begin on planning for this trip. I am planning on camping my way across, putting spending money at the bare minimum. The four of us are each going to pick one particular place we want to visit, but other than that, our trip is very lax. What kind of things do we need to plan for? What about camping on out way out, I understand sites out west, but what about between there and Maryland (which is our departing state.) Can anyone help?

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 11:38 AM
Dave

Lara,

First, buy a good road atlas. I personally think Rand-MacNally are the best cheap ones.

AAA publishes a series of "CampBooks" which list campgrounds all across the US. Not all campgrounds are listed - only the ones which meet certain requirements - but it's still a valuable reference. Each entry includes price, directions, and amenities (like showers, laundry).

If you're not a AAA member, you might consider it. In addition to free maps and guidebooks for members, they offer roadside assistance and route planning among other benefits.

If you and your friends haven't been camping before (or together), I would highly recommend that you spend a weekend at a nearby state park if possible. Especially if you have a new tent and equipment, this will help you iron out the bugs (hopefully not literally) in advance.

If you don't already have a cellular phone, this would be a good reason to get one.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 01:30 PM
kam

My son went to school in D.C. and he and I made this trip 3 times and he and his girlfriend did it after graduation. You don't tell us where you want to end up! We never camped but stayed in small chain style motels for the most part. As said above, our cellular phone was invaluable as we could call ahead once we determined how far we would get that day and also provided security. The AAA tour books and maps were also invaluable for finding places to stay. If you are trying to go quickly, stick to the major interstates. If you have lots of time you can explore more. Plan on 5 days from Maryland to San Francisco or LA. Good luck.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 03:04 PM
nancy

Lara,
My advice is very outdated ,as I last went crosscountry summer 1971, with my boyfriend and another couple from college.
We had no plans at all, stopped where we wanted.
Not sure this is possible now,30 yrs. later.
My reason for replying is a suggestion.
If you are doing a round trip, how about traveling one way through Canada.
We left Vermont, went to Ontario,Canada to visit an older brother and then went cross to British Columbia, down the California coast , inland to Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and then east again.
If I had it to do again, I would head back east through the southern states.
But being four hippies at the time we were wary of the south.
I would definately think about Canada.
The topography is very different, the people were wonderful to us, but the mosquitos were ****horrible*** in Manitoba.
In the states, I would not miss the Redwoods, Grand Canyon(surreal looking even in person), Painted Desert.
Have a really fun trip!!!
Nancy

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 04:17 PM
Paul Rabe

I tent camp often, and have found the Woodall's Tent Camping Guide quite useful. It lists prices, facilities, and directions to innumerable camping places. It listed, and I stayed at, a campsite just 50 km from Philadelphia.

Since you'll be graduating in spring, your first decision on this cross country trip is whether you want to take the "Northern Route" or the "Southern Route" cross country. The former will take you through Ohio, Chicago, Minnesota, the Black Hills, Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP (maybe), and Washington. The latter takes you thru Georgia or Tennessee, New Orleans, San Antonio, Carlsbad Caverns, Utah's Nat Parks, the Grand Canyon, and Las Vegas.

Each of the sites I list are great places to visit; unfortunately, you must choose one route or the other unless you want to take a VERY convoluted route. It may depend on where you plan to end up -- if California, the south would be easier; if Washington, the north.

Temperatures may also make up your mind. The former might still be cold (particularly in the mountains) even in June; the latter could be a bit hot even in May.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 04:25 PM
Samantha

Hi Lara,

I can't offer any advice on the camping part, but I'll give the "mom and dad" type of advice to you, because my husband and I have done cross country drives numerous times, so I've "been there, done that":

As you've previously been told, a good atlas and cell phone are absolutely mandatory.

Have several gallons of water per person in the car, especially if you and your friends will be going though the desert or any stretches of interstate/highway when towns are few and far between (for us, it was the I-80 stretch through Nevada, Utah and Wyoming). Breakdowns do happen and it can get hot out there, even in the spring.

Make sure you all check in EVERY morning and night with your parents and if they're especially anxious, a time or two throughout the day when filling up the gas tank. A minute phone call can ease the mind.

Don't let the gas get below half a tank beofre re-fueling.

Use the buddy system ALWAYS and be aware, even to the point of being cynical and rude (shout to draw attention) if you're threatened by someone. Use situational awareness at all times.

Keep your money in different areas (some in your pocket, some in your purse, etc.).

Have the car checked out thoroughly before leaving and make sure one of you knows how to change a flat tire, or be members of AAA.

Take lots of photos and keep journals throughout the trip.

Realize that at least some point along the way, you'll all at different times get into a spat with each other. ;-) That's part of the fun of a long time spent together in confined quarters! Seriously, though, I'm sure the trip will be one that you and your friends will remember years from now. Enjoy yourselves!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 05:13 AM
Jaime

Lara, check out the youth hostels along the way as an alternative to camping. It's cheap, you'll meet people from around the world (hopefully), shower, warm bed, breakfast...by the way, I'll be making this very same trip this December when *I* graduate from college...I'm leaving Indiana and driving across the U.S. on Rte. 66 to L.A. and then straight up the coast! I've heard that it's one of the most beautiful drives in the country. Good luck!