Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will soda cans explode in an airplane's cargo hold?

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 03:35 PM
Susan

(Given the changes in cabin pressure.)

Any opinions? Anyone with first-hand knowledge?

Thanks!

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 05:27 PM
Meg

We have travelled with a 12 pack of Diet Coke in our luggage on every trip we've taken to Europe. I usually put them in a garbage bag, just in case, but we've never had an explosion.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Allan

Susan:

Airliner cargo holds are required by law to be pressurized similar to that of the passenger cabin. Within reasonable limits, the hold is also temperature controlled (think traveling pets). As soda and beer cans don't explode on the serving cart, I doubt they would explode in the hold. I once worried about this myself, but my twelve-pack of Iron City beer arrived unscathed after a cross-country trip. But I think you might want to pad it carefully--baggage crew have been known to "toss" luggage.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 12:32 AM
Crazy ????

Are you all mad ?
Why the hell are you taking diet coke to Europe ? Surprisingly enough (given that you can get coke everywhere in the entire universe from Moscow to Mars) diet coke is available in "Europe". In the Uk it's even called "Diet Coke" (to avoid confusion for Americans!), in mainland Europe it's called "Cola Light" - hope that's not too complicated.
How do you find suitcases big enough for all the Big Macs you need to bring with you (as obviously McD's hasn't managed to reach this side of the Atlantic yet - I wish)

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 07:05 AM
Padida

Of course it's nuts to tote cans of soda on a plane -- why deal with the weight and bulk. But two other points: 1. if it's unpressurized, the cargo area might also be subject to freezing temperatures at high altitudes, and guess what'll happen? (Ask anyone who's forgotten they put a can in the freezer to speed up chilling.) 2. You can get diet sodas all over Europe BUT you can't get decaffeinated ones. Thank god for sparkling water and Orangina.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 12:35 PM
Meg

Well, Crazy... I like diet coke. I don't drink coffee and have had trouble finding diet cokes in certain places before. Also, after paying $5 for a diet coke in a restaurant on my first trip to Paris, I found it much easier and cheaper to just bring a 12 pack with me. I have soft sided suitcase that has a hard compartment on the bottom into which a 12 pack fits perfectly. The baggage is checked, so it's not like I (or my husband - and certainly not you!) have to lug it around for me. Does that bother you? Since it affects you in no way, shape or form, I don't see why it should matter to you one way or another if I travel with soft drinks, big macs, peanut butter or crawfish for that matter.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 02:36 PM
Crazy2

I have to agree with crazy. Your in Paris of all places(!) and have to drink your American diet Coke. Why did you go in the first place? So you don't like coffee, the French do have other beverages...wouldn't it be nice to try and experience French culture and libation? Guess not.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 02:48 PM
Chill

How can asking and receiving an answer to such a simple, honest question degrade so quickly into an argument? RELAX!

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 03:01 PM
Meg

Why did I go to Paris? To sit in cafes, see museums, eat crepes, stroll the Latin Quarter, sit in the Tuileries, walk and shop on the Champs Elysees... all the things people do in Paris. Just because I am a diet coke junkie doesn't mean that I don't enjoy wine or other French beverages - I just don't think it's appropriate to open a bottle of wine first thing in the morning. I can't believe I'm getting all this grief because I take diet coke on trips. I also take my own soap and toilet paper - does that mean I should stay in the USA my entire life?

For goodness sake, I didn't mean to start a debate about whether it's appropriate to take an American beverage (HOW DARE I?) into Europe. I just answered Susan's question.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 03:31 PM
nancy

Meg,
This Forum seems to be filled with people who get bent out of shape over the most inconsequential things!
Taking soda, going topless, even washclothes from what I understand.
To Crazy 1 and 2 (if you are not one and the same)
Maybe it is unusual to take soda thousands of miles, maybe Meg and Susan could even find an acceptable replacement over in Europe.
But what does it matter to you?
For your info, I am going to take two boxes of Twining tea to Italy with me next year for our two week trip.
Imagine!! Me in Rome, sitting on the terrace of my apartment, or gazingat the ocean at our hotel (the second week)
Sipping a cup of English tea!
Why, I should just stay home.
Nancy

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 03:54 PM
Meg

Thanks, Nancy. Enjoy your tea on your Roman holiday.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 03:56 PM
nancy

You're welcome Meg.
Enjoy your soda.
And even though I don't drink soda, take a sip for me!
Nancy

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 04:37 PM
Susan

Wow!

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I half expected to get only the crank-type replies and no serious ones.

For the record, I am going on a cruise, not to Europe. (Didn't post on the cruise board for a reason to long yet insignificant to go into.) I have heard how outrageously they charge for sodas, and I am an admitted tightwad. I WILL NOT pay over $2 for a single serving of soda (and yes, I am one of those criminals who brings a can of soda to the movies, for the same reason).

The soda is for my husband, who easily finishes off a case of 24 cans in a week. As for me, I plan to enjoy all the free water, lemonade and iced tea I can drink and wait til we return for my Pepsi fix (Coke -- yuck!)

Thanks again for the replies!

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 04:47 PM
Tom

Susan,

I think you have been beaten up enough. If you like Diet coke, enjoy.
If you are ever in Atlanta, the Coca Cola museum has the history of coke and you can sample different coke products made for different parts of the world. If your travels ever take you to Brazil, I and a few of my acquaintances have gotten hooked on a softdrink called called Guanaca. It is made from a little red berry that only grows on the Amazon and has a special taste and tingle. I drink diet coke as well as a standard but always defer to this stuff when I go on business trips down there. They have some interesting soft drinks in some other countries as well. Enjoy your diet coke but please don't overlook an opportunity to try something new, once. You may find a new favorite as I did and certainly a new memory.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 06:03 PM
M.M.

Susan do try something new(above post) and if you like it don't even think about putting it into your suitcase and bringing it to the US.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 06:18 PM
Susan

Mystery Man, you are a little confused.

1) I am already in the U.S.

2) My original post mentioned nothing about my proclivities toward trying new things. This is not about what I will and will not try. Like someone else mentioned, just because I am planning to provide myself with a preferred beverage (and it's actually for my husband, not me) does not mean that I (he) will drink only that beverage and nothing else.

Probably enough said on this subject. I now feel confident in packing a 12-pack of soda without worrying about a mess. (And good advice about wrapping it in a plastic bag, thanks!)

Wish me bon voyage -- we sail next weekend.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:35 AM
nancy

Susan,
Have a great trip!
Nancy

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 03:54 AM
peg

Hi Susan -- don't know where you're sailing from, but in San Juan, we bought soda at a duty free liquor store in the cruise building for about $2.50/6 pak--very cheap, and saved us actually packing and carting it on the plane. sometimes you can buy it at your point of sailing as cheap as at home.

And, I'm with you--if there's something special you want to have on any trip, who cares whether you take it or not. it's YOUR vacation. Have a great time!

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 04:30 AM
Julie

I have never had any add'l room in my suitcase (I pack very light) for sodas on trips overseas, but do understand the desire to have "American" soda. Although you can actually buy Coke and Pepsi worldwide, I believe that it is actually bottled (or canned) in the country or region where you purchase it. Thus, a Coke in Paris does not taste the same as a Coke in the US. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. Imagine my disappointment after paying $5 for that can of much anticipated Coke only to taste it and discover it tasted like it was flat and yucky. There's a place in EPCOT (Disney) center where you can taste Coke from all areas of the world . . .If you've ever done this, you will agree with my statement, "A Coke isn't always a Coke." I have grown accustomed to either accepting the "other" Cokes of the world or going without. Better yet, drink beer instead -- although I love my Miller Lite, I'll settle for any kind of brew!

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 05:59 AM
Ann

Hmm... How can I get everyone riled up again over some meaningless morsel?

Nancy--Twining isn't actually English tea. No one in England drinks Twining. Try Nambarie!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -