Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driver's license for a USA/AUS citizen ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my wife holds both USA and Australian citizenships. We live (and have for about 10 years) in Australia. From time to time we return to the USA to visit relatives. We have a trip coming up soon. My wife holds a valid Australian Driver's License, but long ago let her USA license expire.
Can she legally drive within the USA on her Australian Driver's License, given that she is an Australian resident and citizen ?
Or given that she is also a USA citizen does she need a USA Driver's License ?
I am assuming there must be lots of people with dual citizenship and suspect that the answer must lie around where a person resides rather than around citizenship.
Does anyone know the answer ???
The last poster to the following thread aludes to it being residency status: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34589604
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:52 PM

At one time there was an International Driving Permit whose main effect seemed to be it was a document in many languages stating the privileges of your own licence and also having a photo so you could use it as a photo ID.

I suspect you all can drive on your Aussie licences, no problem, but suggest you contact the Oz equivalent of AA/RAC, AAA etc, they should know.
Have a great trip
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:19 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes of course one can drive on one's Oz license. Laws vary by state, but generally anything up to a year for nonresidents is okay.

To get a US license she would need to prove residency in a particular state; most states now want good evidence, like utility bills showing addresses, etc. before they'll issue a license.

Insurance is another matter. If she tried to obtain US insurance a driving record search would pull up nothing, so she'd likely be assigned into a high-risk underwriting pool, translated, $$$. Not worth the bother for infrequent visitors IMO.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gardyloo is correct. You're wife can certainly drive with her AUS licence. In California now, you have to show your social security card to get a driver's licence.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM

My brother is a USA/AUS citizen. He rents cars and drives in the USA on his Aus license every year.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you.
You have put my mind at ease.