Reload this Page >

Driven Hwy 1/ Pacific coast Hwy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 05:14 PM
john nowak

Have you ever driven on Hwy 1? We plan to in November from LA to SF. Are their any sections that we should absolutely not miss or should avoid??? Responses appreciated!

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 06:03 PM
kam

Yes, we've driven it many times since we live fairly closeby. If you are planning in late November, you might run into rain in which case I would recommend to take the inland route 101 or wait until the rain stops. There is only the one road through Big Sur so i don't understand what you mean by sections that you should avoid. It's only 60 miles, but how long it will take you to drive it depends on the weather, and how much you want to go off on side roads to explore. Just please don't try it in inclement weather, it can be miserable.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 06:06 PM
Paul Rabe

Have driven it about a dozen times, and have never gotten tired of it.

Once you decide to go north of San Luis Obispo on Hiway One, you don't have much choice about what to miss or avoid: the Hiway is pretty much your ONLY choice until you get to the Monterey area (Okay, you CAN get off on Hiway 41). Although a bad storm in November is unlikely, do NOT drive this section in rain!

If you want to find out how the other .0001% of America lived, check out the Hearst Castle at San Simeon; reservations will be necessary.

Pfeiffer Big Sur Beach is one of my favorite spots on the California coast; a few hours out of your way will bring you to an unforgettable sight.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 07:27 PM
Robin

Are you interested in more than just the Big Sur area? If so, then some of the "city" parts are no big deal. Big Sur, as mentioned is great, and not a long distance, although don't be fooled by the actual mileage-- it takes time! The part of the state north of SF is lovely too, although not as spectacular. Hwy 1 in much of Southern California has houses or businesses on either side, and not much of a view. There are great places to stop, but not a lot to appreciate from the car. Actually, I would move quickly after Santa Barbara through LA, and then keep going to San Diego. The coast opens up a little, and while it's not Big Sur, it's pretty quintessentially "Califorinan"!

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 05:08 AM
Kristi

A second vote for Hearst Castle. I've been to historic homes all across the country and it just blew me away.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 06:14 AM
lisa

Drove it last summer and had an incredible time. Stop in Santa Barbara for lunch at La Super-Rica Tacqueria, and tour the Santa Barbara mission. Stay overnight in Cambria on Moonstone Beach Drive, have dinner in town at Robin's, and explore the tidepools along Moonstone Beach the next morning. Make reservations to tour Hearst Castle (www.hearstcastle.org -- take tour 1 if it's your first time) -- it's spectacular. After Hearst Castle, stop for lunch at Ragged Point and walk up the path out back for a gorgeous view up and down the coast. Stay overnight in Big Sur (Ventana and its restaurant Cielo were incredible). The next morning spend a couple of hours exploring Pt. Lobos State Park. Have lunch in Carmel. Stay overnight in Pacific Grove, a really cute little town that is less touristy than Carmel & Monterey. The next morning spend 2-3 hours at Monterey Aquarium (don't miss the jellyfish exhibit upstairs). Those are my recommendations. If you want more details, do a search using the words "California coast" and you will find a lengthy trip report I wrote last July. Have a great time.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Robin

La Super-Rica was chosen by Sunset Magazine (very popular western states publication) as THE best taco shop. FYI, Robin's is a charming restaurant in Cambria, not my home

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 05:04 PM
kam

Also the Sow's Ear in Cambria but you'll need to make reservations on a weekend. Brambles Dinner House is probably as ritzy as Cambria gets.