Search

drive to Valdez

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drive to Valdez

We will be doing an ice climb adventure on Matanuska glacier (first week of August). From there we will be driving to a B and B in Valdez. How long of a drive from Matanuska glacier to Valdez. I'm guessing 4 hours without stops. Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 10:45 PM

I would plan on 5hrs. The problem is, this is the most scenic portion of the Richardson, and I would instead suggest you consider an overnight at Copper Center- the Roadhouse is nice and there is the Princess Lodge. Very excellent is Kennicott mines and surroundings etc. It is worth a day. Don't be in a rush to get to Valdez.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM

We stayed at the Princess Lodge on our way to Valdez and I would stay there again in a minute. One word of advice--make SURE you have PLENTY of gas.
Gas stations from Glenallen to Valdez are rare.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM

It took us 5 hours to drive from Valdez to Matanuska Glacier but with stops at Thompson Pass and Worthington Glacier. It is an easy and very scenic drive. I don't understand why would Budget Queen and tcapp recomed overnight stay. Of course there are many places to visit in between Valdez and Matanuska but you are not asking where to spend a night before getting to Valdez, right?
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:25 PM

I recommend the stop because I'll assume they will be at least 4 hours on the glacier ice climb and it is an exhausting activity. Then to add another 5++ hour drive isn't the best plan in my opinion. As I mention there is plenty to see and do on the way, with an all day tour to Kennicott my top pick.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:54 AM

I still don't think that Princessanna asked for recommendations where to stopped on the way to Valdez. It seems she has a reservation in B&B in Valdez the same day she takes hike on Matanuska Glacier. We drove from Valdez, took a guided hike (almost 5 hours!)with Nova guide on the glacier, then we drove to Anchorage where we arrived around 7:30 pm with a few stops in between. I don't see any need to make an overnight stop if time is an issue. As I said before, of course there are many places in between to stop and spend more time but this is a person's individual preference and all Princessanna asked was how long of a drive from Matanuska to Valdez.
Hence, the simple answer is, between four and five hours.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. PAT2003, you are correct in that we do not need to spend the night on our way to Valdez. We have a B and B reservation that night in Valdez that we need to get to after Matanuska. There are 4 of us in our late 20s who will be in our SUV so splitting a 5 hour drive isn't a concern. We have planned two days to drive from Valdez to Anchorage on our return, so we'll utilize the advice on where to stop and stay then. Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:56 PM

As only a suggestion and NOT to be flamed, superior is to drive a loop with Valdez and take the ferry to Whittier. Just wonderful scenery.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

BudgetQueen, we've heard only wonderful things about that shuttle trip. We really wanted to but it just wasn't going to work out on this trip as the stop in Matanuska was a must... We are visiting Seward but needing the drive to incorporate some climbing of Matanuska Glacier. Sure is a lot of time in the car, but we've tried to space it out. Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:43 AM

I agree with Budget Queen about taking a ferry from Valdez to Whittier. It is short and magnificent views of glaciers. One should make reservation for the ferry in advance.

Princessanna, there were only two of us on our drive and never felt this drive was too long and we are much older than you are. So have a great time regardless whether you drive back from Valdez or take the ferry.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:03 AM

Princessanna, we drove from Valdez to Anchorage easily in one day, and we are old enough to be your parents. ;-) It was not a bad drive, and we made LOTS of stops along the way. With youth on your side, and the almost constant daylight, you'll be able to make the drive with no problem. It's a beautiful drive, so you are sure to enjoy it.

We found that some of the recommendations for overnights delayed our trip unnecessarily and we'd have better spent the time at the end of tours, shuttles, hikes, etc., moving on to the next location. However, we can see that those overnights will be a blessing in the not-too-distant future. ;-)

Enjoy! Alaska is not to be missed!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:16 PM

We are thinking of driving from Anchorage to Homer ( 2 nights) then to Seward where we'll take Kenai Fjords Tours; Ferry to Valdez (1 night)where we'll do a Prince William Sound tour, and drive north, working our way to Denali for two days stay in Healy, down to Talkeentna for plane ride and back to Anchorage.

What do you think?
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:20 PM

Sounds lovely, Gary. Makes me want to do it all again! ;-)
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:36 PM

Hey, Gary. I just read this posting and thought I might address is too.

Author: garymey
Date: 06/18/2005, 12:47 pm
I have tried to post a new topic but it has gone astray 3 times.
The question is Kenai vs. Prince William Sound? In Kenai will we see Glaciers that will meet our expectations or do we ned to do PWS for that?

Anyone take a 3-4 day PWS cruise with Cruice West?
Thanks
The NW Kenai Fjord tour out of Seward will definitely give you a great look at all sorts of beautiful glaciers, plus abundant wildlife, changing views--it goes from looking like Norway to looking like some Carribean islands with lots of coves and mountains rising from the sea--then you see all the glaciers. (Alaskans, please forgive my feeble attempt to describe the beauty and variety.) We LOVED the glaciers. I was afraid we'd get sick of seeing them, but NO WAY. We couldn't get enough of them.

The drive to/from Valdez is spectacular. Plan to take your time through Keystone Canyon and Thompson Pass. Stop at the Copper Center Princess Lodge for a great lunch or just to enjoy the view.

If you drive from Valdez to Healy via the Glenn Hwy, prepare to stop around the Matanuska Glacier. Spectacular views--it's very long and quite visible, even from the hwy. Great little restaurant there, too, with a great view--I think the name was Vista Restaurant.

The drive on up the Richardson Hwy to Fairbanks to beautiful, too, but I don't think you have the time for all that.

We kayaked the Shoup Glacier in Valdez. Something you might want to consider if you do the NW Fjord tour out of Seward. I don't know how great the boat tours are of PWS out of Valdez, but Stan Stephens and the LuLu Belle were both highly recommended to us.

I know you will have a great trip, regardless of which places you visit or which activities you choose.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:52 AM

I would do the Prince William Sound boat tour out of Whittier instead of Valdez if you want intense glacier viewing. I would take 2 days to drive from Valdez to Denali Park - at least. You are skipping by Kennicott and with only one day in Valdez also limited. I don't agree with good food at the Copper Princess, superior in my opinion, is the Copper Center Rhoadhouse, or the Brown Bear Roadhouse in Glennallen. I agree- consider a glacier trek at Matanuska, with MICA. Sheep Mt. Lodge is a great stop as well but Palmer is probably more "half way".