Many Glaciers: Worth the Extra Drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a few days we will visit Glacier NP from Bigfork, Mt--driving the Going-to-the-Sun Road east and then west, back to Bigfork--about five hours of driving.

Visiting the Many Glaciers area would add two hours of driving to our day. Is it worth it, or would be better advised to spend our time in other ways?
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Definitely. I can't imagine doing Glacier NP and not seeing Many Glaciers. Take the time to take the boat ride too. Spectacular scenery and time on the gorgeous turquoise lakes - shades of Lake Louise in Banff.

It won't get dark until almost 10 so you'll have a long day to enjoy the scenery.

I know others (on another thread) disagree with me, but I'd definitely take the GTTS road through Glacier to Many Glaciers, take the time to relax and enjoy the boat ride, and then take Hwy 2 back to Bigfork. Hwy 2 is an easy drive, less stressful to drive the GTTS and it also takes you past Goat Lick Overlook. We just drove it - almost exactly a month ago - and I strongly recommend the drive - ESPECIALLY if the option is just taking GTTS to Logan Pass and turning around. Get an early start to your day and you can easily to it all. Be sure to stop at East Glacier and peek into Glacier Park Lodge. I liked it because it gave me an idea what Old Faithful Inn looked like before they peeled the bark off the logs.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, starrs, for your enthusiastic endorsement of Many Glaciers and Highway 2 (from which I was discouraged by others in an earlier Glacier NP post). Should we make a reservation for the boat ride at Many Glaciers?

HTTY
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM

Yes, you should make a reservaation for the boat ride. We made reservations at the diner where we had breakfast (on Hwy 2 in fact) and got right on the boat. We saw another couple in the standby line at the boat ride (2pm) that had eaten breakfast next to us at the diner. We were glad we had reservations.

I understand what the others were saying. For sheer beauty, driving the GTTS both ways IS a more dramatic drive. It's also a more stressful drive for the driver and more time consuming. If the option is not doing ALL of the drive and missing Many Glaciers because you are worried about time, I think they would agree with doing the entire road and then returning via Hwy 2. There is no way Hwy 2 is as dramatic but it's still a nice drive - and we drove it a lot because we were there before GTTS opened up. That route will also take you by Goat Lick overlook late in the day and I promise you you will be thrilled with the closeness of the goats and the great photo ops.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, starrs. We have driven the Going-to-the-Sun road three times, but we have never been to Many Glaciers or East Glacier, and we have never driven Highway 2. HTTY
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM

If you have driven GTTS before, then I definitely say you need to fit in Many Glacier. IMO Many Glacier and the lakes were the best part of the trip. The drive back down to East Glacier was nice. We spotted a red fox - and went back to take pictures - and also saw horses (wild?) at the edge of the road (more great pictures). We did a quick drive through Two Medicine, stopped at Glacier Park Lodge to look around. Stopped to eat in East Glacier (at a horrible BBQ place), shopped some more at the Trading Post, stopped again at Goat Lick Overlook and stopped to look around at the Isaak Walton Inn at Essex MT. The boat tour was at 2 and we did all that before dark. I think you could easily do an afternoon boat tour and head back via 2 OR take the GTTS road back and still get it all in during one day without feeling rushed.

I wish you could see the Many Glacier pics I posted on FB today. I'll try to get them loaded so they can be viewed here soon.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:28 AM

Along Route 2 you will also see Big Time American railroading, seriously Big Time. The kind people travel from all over the world to see.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 04:18 AM

Do they really, Ack? I was interested in all the trestles and the (numbered) covers on the tracks - protection from snow and rock falls I guess.

The Isaak Walton Inn is a great stop for those interested in railroads.