drive from San Francisco thru to Texas

Jun 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

drive from San Francisco thru to Texas

We are driving back to Texas from Monterey/San Francisco in August. We're thinking about going to Salt Lake then to Yellowstone around August 10 or 11. Is this feasible? Number miles from Salt Lake to Yellowstone? Or is there another national Park closer on route to Lubbock and then Houston?
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:22 AM

Yes, it's feasible but you're really going out of your way if you're trying to take a more direct route. SLC - YNP = 350 mi. There are plenty of national parks on a more direct route: Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bandelier, Petrified Forest, Mesa Verde to name just a few.
Jun 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM

The first couple of weeks in August is most likely the busiest time in Yellowstone. It will be very crowded. And, it's way out of your way. But, it is doable and if you have the time and have never been there, it is an option. It is faster to head up into Idaho from Nevada at Wells than to go into SLC.

However, the route I would take to Texas in August is Hwy 50 across Nevada stopping at Great Basin National Park. Then Hwy 6 and I 70 towards Green River, Utah and then down to Canyonlands and Arches National Park.

After Arches, I would head towards Telluride and then drive down to Ouray, Silverton, and Durango. Then if you are interested, you can backtrack a little to Mesa Verde,

Finally, take US 160 over to Pagosa Springs and then head south for Taos, Bandelier NM and Santa Fe. After that, it's all downhill to Texas.

An alternate route is to go through southern Utah and northern Arizona stopping at Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon North Rim. This is a hotter route in August and the scenery is not as interesting except when you are in the parks themselves. It would be my choice though in Spring or late fall.
Jun 6th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

To: dfr;supercilious;
Appreciate your thoughts. We want to go through Reno to visit relative but wide open after. If we cut north into Idaho then Green River and other National Parks on way south. I'm hoping we could see these sights and be back Houston four to five days.My wife is retired teacher but wants to work half days at granddaughter's school beginning August 16.
Jun 6th, 2008, 04:47 AM

OK - knowing that, supercilious' original plan should work for you with a few modifications. If you've not been to YNP it's definitely worth seeing. 4-5 days is a little tight but should work. We've driven the CO/NM route to Houston several times and, as mentioned, it's pretty clear sailing from Santa Fe (usually takes us about 1.5 days from there)
Jun 6th, 2008, 08:21 AM

For me here in NoCal, it's a full two day drive to Yellowstone. I don't see how you will have much time to enjoy the park - you really should spend 3 or 4 days to see it all - if you have to be in Houston on the 16th.

For the trip across Nevada, Utah, Colorado, NM and Texas, here is a suggested itinerary. You could do it quicker but then you wouldn't be able to see very much of the sights along the way and might need to drive at night.

Day 1 - Reno to Delta or Provo, Utah with a stop at Great Basin NP to tour the caverns.

Day 2 - Drive to Moab with the afternoon spent in Arches.

Day 3 - Drive to Durango, CO
The part between Ouray and Durango is very spectacular and will take the whole afternoon with a stop in Silverton.

Day 4 - Drive to Santa Fe.

Day 5 - Santa Fe to Dallas

Day 6 - Dallas to Houston

If you were going to stop and see Canyonlands and/or Mesa Verde National Parks, you would need to add a day or two to this itineary.