Reload this Page >

Drive from Oakland to Yosemite

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Marie

I understand the drive is approx 4 hours, but tell me more. What is along the way? Is there anything not to be missed?????

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:36 AM
hmmm

Actually there isn't anything that can't be missed as you go from 580 east to 205 to I5 (briefly) to 120 east. You'll pass east bay towns like Livermore which has a few wineries that might be of interest, the Wind machines of the Altamont pass, the lovely towns of Tracy and Modesto and then into the foothills on your way to Yosemite.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:17 AM
x

Seriously Marie, there isn't anything that's worth seeing on the way. Just a bunch of bedroom communities and small towns.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:21 PM
J Correa

Petal to the metal all the way - unless you are travelling during the afternoon commute or on a Saturday morning, then it's stop and go (mostly stop) traffic until you get past Tracy. Nothing interesting along the way, just farmland and small towns as other people have mentioned.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:01 PM
katie

I would agree. Don't waste time. Yosemite is awesome. I usually go down twice a year from Alameda. In the summer I might stop to buy some fresh fruit or corn at a roadside stand--but that is it......