Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Drive from New Jersey to Florida 8 hour stops?

Old Nov 13th, 2022, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where to stop ?

Old Nov 13th, 2022, 06:50 AM

I don't know about your first stop but your second stop could be charming Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island which has 50 blocks of historic buildings housing restaurants, bed ‘n’ breakfasts, and boutique shops. It is just north of Jacksonville.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 06:57 AM

First stop might be around Wilmington NC.

Booking online using a site like booking.com is so easy now that I would drive until I was ready to stop in an hour or so and then book a room ahead. I would assume you are traveling on I95 so there are myriad places to stay all along.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 07:30 AM

it depends a bit on your starting point in NJ and your destination in Florida. For example if starting in northern NJ (say in Bergan County) and ending in Miami that's about 19 hours actual drive time or two 9.5 hour "driving days". If starting from southern NJ and ending in mid-Florida you'll reduce your overall driving time by a few hours. Either way, baring any major traffic stoppages you can make the trip with only one stop. If making the trip in one stop appeals to you (and you are taking I-95) the halfway point will be somewhere between Fayetteville, NC and Florence, South Carolina.

I'd follow Gretchen's suggestion by driving "until I was ready to stop in an hour or so and then book a room ahead". You can download the "iExit" APP on your smartphone. It will track your route and give you the distance to all upcoming exits as well as an exit by exit list of gas stations, restaurants and hotels as well as how far they are from the particular exit. It will even give you current gas prices. An hour or two before you plan to stop, simply estimate how much further you want to travel then using the APP scroll down to see what exits are close to that point and choose the exit that has the facilities that interest you most.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 10:03 AM
J62

I would be wary of following the suggestion of driving until I was ready to stop in an hour or so and then book a room ahead..... Been there, and done that, and had isssues along the I95 corridor in that general area from Fayetteville NC to Florence SC. Last trip about a year ago ALL rooms were booked at every hotel for about a 100mile stretch. Tried booking by booking.com, looked at places on google maps and called hotels at every exit for 60miles, all 100% full. Turns out there were power failures throughout the state and everyone had flocked to hotels.....

We finally found a 1 star "Red Roach Inn" at 1313 Mockingbird Lane., Spooksville NC....

I'm not saying you'll have the same issue, but perhaps map out a place you'll be happy to call it a day, and book further ahead than 1 hour....

Old Nov 14th, 2022, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with J62. We have had issues booking just when "we feel tired", so we now book in advance. We come from PA and first stop is usually in NC. Second stop is usually Palm Coast, FL.
Google distances from your house to cities in NC to see what would take about 8 hours. Then do it again for your second stop.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 09:38 AM
J62

For a drive that spans 2 days, I typically want to get about 60% (or a tad more) of the way on the first day. We are typically good for one extra long day if needed, but really like the 2nd day to be a bit shorter. For a 16hr drive that means about 10hrs one day, 6 the next. If your total is much greater than that, or you need 3 driving days, then your plan for two 8hr stops is fine.
Old Nov 15th, 2022, 06:58 AM

Assuming you're using the I-95 corridor I agree that I'd book ahead or you can wind up in the Roach motel sold out scenario. There's a HI Express in Fayetteville. I'd start there since you haven't given much other information.

I never leave home as early as I anticipate. Hence thinking that 10 hours might not be the best plan.

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 15th, 2022 at 07:40 AM.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 08:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Amtrak Auto train runs from Lorton Virginia to Sanford Florida. The phone number to call is 1 800 SKIPI95. The fare per passenger is now $89 plus the fee for your car. I would not take a winter trip on I-95 to Florida unless you have lots of time, snow tires and patience. Sleeping on a moving train is a little better than a night or two at the Roach Motel