Drive from Myrtle Beach to Charleston

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive from Myrtle Beach to Charleston

Ok, new visitors to the Carolinas and we have a leisurely day drive between Myrtle and Charleston in June. What are some recommendations to stop along the way, lunch?, beaches?, things to see -- family of 4 along for the ride, girls are 18 and 20 and of course we are slightly older... hmm anyway.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:33 PM

It's only a 2-hour drive. I don't think there are any real "beach" stops between the two cities. Maybe someone can recommend a lunch stop, maybe around Georgetown area.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:03 PM

No beaches along the way. Go down to the waterfront in Georgetown and there are several small restaurants. You might rather drive on to Charleston for lunch as the drive is only 2 or 2 and a half hours depending on where you are in Myrtle Beach and the traffic.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 06:49 AM
GoTravel

Brookgreen Gardens is a must see.

www.Brookgreen.org

Pawleys Island and Huntington Beach State Park (Atalya Castle) are both wonderful beaches. I highly recommend them both.

Uncrowded, wide, big dunes, gorgeous.

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Good thought about Brookgreen and Huntington Beach Park.
And the distance is quite small. Do NOT be tempted to speed south of Georgetown on teh 4 lane basically deserted highway!! It is well patrolled.
In a NY Times article about Charleston dining a little hole in the wall on Route 17 was highly recommended for its fresh local seafood--called Sea Wee. We're planning to take a look on our next trip.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.....
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM

As Maryanne1 mentioned, stop in and visit the waterfront in Georgetown. It's small and doable in a few hours (or less); there are a few neat shops, galleries, museum, and the main reason I mention it: lunch at the Rice Paddy. Yum. As good as many of the great lunch in Charleston for lunch.

Otherwise, you've gotten great advice above (e.g., Brookgreen Gardens, Huntington Beach State Park, Pawleys Island).

Gretchen, I guess I've just been lucky about making good time on Hwy 17 between Georgetown and Charleston. Long straightaways, easy to spot troopers (except as you approach McClellanville heading south). And notice GoTravel, speed demon of SC roadways, didn't chime in!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 10:15 AM
GoTravel

I never see cops between Georgetown and Mt. Pleasant! I always see them in Mt. Pleasant!