Reload this Page >

Drive from LA to Monterey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 1998, 01:32 AM
Nyet

We are planning to drive up to Monterey from LA mid May 1998. Wondering if anyone can tell me how long the drive will take? If we start from LA at 8 am in the morning, will we reach Monterey by say, 5pm the same day. There will be minimal stops along the way. We will probably stop fot lunch at San Luis Obispo and maybe small stops along the way esp in Big Sur. Please, we would appreciate any info on the drive up North. Thanks

Old Mar 4th, 1998, 05:54 AM
s.fowler

First you will want to check to see if the road is open. The mudlsides have, from what I have read taken a toll on PCH in several places, including the Big Sur.If the road should be open and driveable, I warn you that the concept of minimal stops on a road that has breathtaking view after breathtaking view is one hard to enforce. Why not take two days [as I have done twice] breaking near Cambria Beaches or Morro Bay? In Big Sur if you want to lunch with the LA "crowd" try Nepenthe's. The hamburger was $10, but good and the people watching, even if they aren't "anybody" is fun. Because the road is single lane and has a lot of switch backs it is tiring driving. I don't know if you COULD make Monterey in 5 hrs. But even if you COULD why would you want to ? I emphasize again to check on the road closer to your trip. What I heard is that the north bound lane may be open by then, but not the southbound.

Old Mar 4th, 1998, 05:56 AM
s. fowler

Ooops. I just noticed that you asked if you could drive it in 9 hours, not 5. If it is fully open the answer is yes, but again why would you want to ?

Old Mar 12th, 1998, 11:07 PM
Roxanne

You can make it in 9 hours without traffic, but if you don't want to stop, then why take route 1? You can take the 101 and then cut over. Route 1 is made for stopping, and it would really be a shame if you just rushed through. As I said, if time is of the essence, then take the freeway.

Old Mar 16th, 1998, 10:02 PM
Nyet

Thanks for the info! Sorry if I sounded like I want to rush the journey. Thing is that we have only one day to make it to Monterey. We would like to stop at the nice places along the highway and probabbly use the 101 on some stretches. I understand that some stretches of the drive can be head-spinning esp for the kids. Can you tell me where they are? Probably the nice places like Big Sur huh? I wish we could spend a few days on the drive but we are a bit tight on time. Thanks for your feedbacks.