Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Drive from Boston to Stonington, ME in one day in January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have gotten free airlines tickets to Boston at the end of January with CC miles and was wondering how long it actually would take to get to Stonington, ME from Boston. I know Mapquest says 6 hours, but was wondering if anyone had traveled it. Had planned to maybe fly to Bangor to get there, but didn't have enough miles for that flight. I sort of had my heart set on a real lobstering village so that's why I am thinking Stonington. Thanks for any info.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 01:07 PM

That seems like a long way to go in January for lobster. Most Maine fishermen do not even fish for lobster in the winter.

I could be wrong, but I'd be worried that what you picture will be a quaint little fishing town will be a deserted, frozen empty spot.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Hi Jill:
6 hours sounds about right. Stonington is really out of the way and I actually got lost trying to get off of Stonington (was confusing even tho its such a small spit of land). Spent a lot of time driving around in circles. When I went it was summer and we had kayaks - and even then after we paddled there really wasn't much else to do. Not sure what goes on there in January - if anything. Don't mean to sound negative but I agree with the other poster that you might want to rethink this. The "village" of Stonington is all of about two blocks long. And quite honestly I wasn't impressed. Truth be told once I saw it I canceled our reservations and drove out of Stonington to stay in Castine.....

Another suggestion would be to research Gloucester/Cape Ann which is just north of Boston. That way you can see a fishing village and stay in Boston if temps are frigid in the northeast.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 04:28 PM

How long it will take will entirely depend upon the weather. Six hours of dry roads becomes a whole 'nuther story in the teeth of a nor'easter!

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Stonington is a real lobster village and very, very remote. The scenery is gorgeous and it is the most quiet time of the year - lodging and dining are limited. Deer Isle and Ellsworth will have options, too. Some fish year round but the fleet will have thinned out. 6 hours sounds about right. It sounds like a nice trip.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 08:47 PM

We stayed in Camden, ME last year and took a ride to Stonington to stock up on smoked haddock at Stonington Seafood. The ride was beautiful, but we went in July. I cannot imagine doing this in January!

Stonington is a charming, but TINY, seaside village. Just a few shops, a few small restaurants, a few fishing boats. None will likely be operating in the winter.

There is "real lobstering" going on at nearly every harbor along the Maine coast. The entire New England Coast for that matter.

Here's another huge recommendation to visit Gloucester instead.

http://www.mass.gov/czm/glouc_harb_rpt_toc.htm

From Boston, Gloucester is only and hour ride each way on the commuter rail (see www.mbta.com)

I'm almost certain after a six hour drive in January (which could include freezing rain, snow...) you'll be very underwhelmed and disappointed. And, then it's another six hours back!

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM

Keep in mind that sun sets very early, even end of January - not much to see in the dark and driving unfamiliamr isolated territory alone in the winter is a little creepy.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Jill, if you provide more information about what you would like to do in New England at the end of January, people could give you some better ideas. There's some pretty country much closer to Boston. We usually prefer mid-coast Maine for a summer vacation. Brunswick is a large college town but you could do some day trips exploring spits of land and villages like South Harpswell. Make sure your rental car has front wheel drive or 4 wheel.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm, maybe Stonington isn't a good idea. We've been to the southern coast of Maine and we may stay in Kennebunkport again. We just wanted something with a more fishing village feel. Would the closest thing be Gloucester? If so, does anyone have a suggestion of lodging on the harbor? We love the coast in the winter when no one is around. As long as there is a restaurant or diner open we don't care about a lot of activities. Just like to look at the hopefully dramatic weather. A blizzard would be neat to us....I know, we're freaks!! Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM

A blizzard is fun when you don't have to go anywhere and if you have a vehicle, it's in a covered garage.

If you're not used to that kind of weather, do not get into your car.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM

I'd suggest Gloucester MA, Portsmouth NH, or Portland ME.

They all have working lobster industry, and hotels with harbor views. In Portland (maybe the other two, too) you can walk along the docks where the boats come in are and buy your chowda really really fresh.

But as another poster suggested, you may not see much action in January, especially if the weather is `dramatic.' But they all have restuarants and shops, and museums, so you could enjoy those things as a backup plan.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Portsmouth is a really good suggestion as is Brunswick. Harpswell, Bailey's Island, Mackerel Cove, etc, just out of Brunswick are as salty as you can get, and being in a college town is fun. Also, Freeport is the next town over, and you can shop til you drop.

Portsmouth is a bit bigger, lots of restaurants, fun to walk around. The tiny town of New Castle (on an island just out of Portsmouth but linked to it) has lots of salty charm.

Portland, Maine, is more bustling, has a good art museum, and is near Cape Elizabeth and Prouts Neck, both picturesque.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Hi,
I think it's a long tough road that might produce empty results. Chances of hitting Nor'easter are very high (can produce several feet of snow with zero visibility). And if it's not snowing, the temprature could be well below zero. I live in Boston where there are several great seafood restaurants. The quaint little fishing villages are pretty much shut down now for the winter. October and early November are best, although I went to Kennebunkport yesterday. It's beautiful there, but not much was open. Federal Jack's is a great little brewpub/restaurant, and Allison's Restaurant has the best lobster rolls I've ever had (and I've had the best). They're both at Dock Square as you come into town. Mabel's Lobster Claw, The Breakwater Inn, Arundels, and The Hurricane (pricey!) were all closed.
I drove all the way to Wiscasset, ME at this time last year and was very dissapointed.