Search

dress for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dress for dinner?

Hi! The family and I are flying into Chicago tomorrow and have our itinerary pretty much figured out, but have one packing question. I checked the weather site only to find out that it's going to be wicked hot this week in your fair city. Can my 13 year old son get away with shorts in most restaurants for dinner? Coming from Calif. where shorts are o.k. anywhere, I'm just not sure what to pack. If my son can get away with shorts, can my husband and I? Thanks so much for the info!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:13 PM

All depends on where you're dining. Shorts are fine for places like the California Kitchen, but there are some very nice resturants in Chicago where shorts (worn by anyone) would be frowned upon (to say the least).
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Can you give some ideas where you're planning to dine? If you're going to be going to Navy Pier or to just grab a pizza, you'll be fine. For most of the nicer places, you could get away with a summer dress and your husband could wear a knit shirt and khakis. Very few places have a strict dress code.

If you wear something sleeveless, you may want to take a light jacket or sweater. My dinner companions often complain that the A/C is drafty.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:23 PM

I agree that it depends where you're going to eat. But there are many, many places where shorts would be just fine for all of you.

This past week we ate dinner one night at the Berghoff and another at Miller's Pub (also had dinners at Kitsch'n on Roscoe and Chief O'Neill's but doubt you'll be going that far afield). All of us but my daughter, who almost never wears shorts, wore shorts to all of those dinners.

As you said, it's going to be hot. And there will be many other tourists who've been out seeing the sights all day. Unless you're planning to eat somewhere pretty upscale, I think you'll be fine. Or, maybe what I should say it that, if you prefer to be comfortable, you can find plenty of good restaurants where you can be. But if you have your heart set on something like Tru, by all means, bring nice clothes.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:29 PM

I swear I proofed this! But should say "maybe what I should say is that" not it that!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

I know we want to go to one of the authentic Chicago pizza places, Due or (whoops can't remember the name of the other one recommended - a male first and last name, I believe). One of Rick Bayless' places. No national chains if we can avoid it - we can get Calif. Pizza Kitchen here! No place super fancy, just moderate. We were in DC a couple of weeks ago (also wicked hot) and went to Firefly and Jaleo (both moderately nice) and my son wore shorts with no problem. We were also probably the least dressed people there, but I don't think anyone noticed. I'm going to pack him a pair of khakis and a polo, but if it's 90 out there getting him to wear them... Thanks so much for the advice. Still packing...
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:39 PM

You're probably thinking of Lou Malnati's. Giordano's is our favorite chain for Chicago pizza. Didn't know until just recently that they've gone national. Don't know how they are outside this area, but they're still good here!