Suggestions on decent & affordable hotel near LAX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in LA this last week of August to meet some friends who will be coming from Tallahassee. Before we journey on for a road trip towards the north, my friend and I would need a hotel near LAX. Any recommendations?
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 03:36 AM

I think the Westin LAX is the best. The Four Points Sheraton LAX was okay too, but not nearly as nice.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Will check it out on-line. Thanks. How many minutes drive away from LAX is it?
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 05:20 AM
hsv

I cannot comment on the Westin, but I have heard, too, that it's one of the nicer properties around LAX.
They do have a complimentary shuttle bus - as have the other hotels such as the Marriott, the Radisson, the Hilton, the Renaissance and the Sheraton to name only a few.

I thought the Marriott was good value for money, too, but in fact I don't think that you'd go wrong with any of the aforementioned ones. They are all huge and generic, but do serve their purpose.

And now for something completely different (as Monty Python used to phrase it): Would it be an option to stay in Marina del Rey or Manhattan Beach, too? Both are just about a 15 minute drive away and there might be some nice options there. E.g. a Marriott in Marina del Rey.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 05:24 AM

What do you mean by "affordable"? One person's reasonable is another's outrageous.

The Westin is a very nice place, but is certainly not any sort of budget property.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 05:56 AM
LN

There's a Doubletree close to LAX that has super comfy beds, quiet rooms, good breakfasts and my reservations are always there. Add to that a good price that can be had on Expedia and Travelocity and I'm a happy traveler.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Century Blvd. (the main street leading into LAX) is full of hotels. There are also some hotels on the side streets near the car rental agencies. Any of the "name brand" hotels would be OK for one night, it really depends on what you want to pay. We've stayed at the Hilton, Sheraton 4 Points, Holiday Inn, Marriott etc. and all were fine for a one-night stay. Be aware that most hotels charge for parking (you mentioned taking off on a road trip so someone may have a car).

All the LAX hotels run free shuttles to and from the airport.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:28 AM

This is a great area for Priceline bidding. Check it out at biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com. Be sure you thoroughly understand the bidding process if you decide to go this route.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Completely agree with Betsy on going the Priceline route for this area and to UNDERSTAND the process through biddingfortravel.com. It looks like if you bid around $50, you'll get the LAX Marriott. Not bad.

I used to have to go down to LA every week and have stayed in almost all of the different hotels along Century Blvd. For one night, as Lori has mentioned, you really can't go wrong with any of those hotels.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Very affordable and very new, clean, comfortable hotel near LAX is the Hampton Inn. I believe their rates are ~$85 per night plus tax. The rate includes full breakfast.

If all you need is a place to sleep for a night, this place is by far the most affordable.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your input. I'm not sure what affordable should mean in LA. We were able to stay at the Vegas Hilton for less than $100. Ofcourse, LA is different. The shuttle to and from the hotel will be helpful
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Jed

Earlier this year, with Priceline, we stayed at Embassy Suites LAX (3*) for $41. Came with happy hour and breakfast.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:32 PM

My sister-in-law and her family also stayed at the Embassy Suites in January and were very pleased with their room and the amenities offered.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Is there a shuttle bus that can take you to the embassy suite? or Hampton Inn? How many minutes drive are they from LAX? Thanks
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:56 AM

Yes, both hotels run their own shuttles. You can find out about both and see pictures and more on www.hilton.com Just remember to check All Hilton family brands when doing a search for Los Angeles area hotels.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:37 AM

All the LAX hotels mentioned in this thread are within 5-6 minutes of the airport via shuttle bus. Sometimes traffic is a bit heavy going in and out of a/p but still they are all very close so don't worry about it taking a long time to get to them.

Actually, it may take longer to get around LAX on the shuttle bus then it does to the hotel once you exit the a/p. The airport is built in sort of a circle and it depends on which terminal you are coming in at how long it will take the shuttle bus to get around the a/p to the exit on Century Blvd. but it still is not a long ride distance or time-wise in most cases.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:42 AM

Someone mentioned the Marriott in Marina del Rey. We stayed there just recently and had a very good experience. We stayed there for a couple of nights before our flight out of LAX. It took no time at all to get to the airport on a Tuesday morning. We used points, however, so I couldn't tell you how much it actually cost.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

OK. Thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Both Westin and Sheraton had shuttles (I found the Sheraton shuttle to be slow, but maybe I was just unlucky). The ride is no more than 5 minutes from the terminals, and felt like even less.

As for cost, I used priceline for both trips (having studied and bid through biddingfortravel.com) and paid about $35 for the Sheraton and $45 for the Westin. I actually thought the Westin was nicer than the very expensive Santa Monica hotel I moved to the following day, and one-eight of the price.