Dress code in elegant restaurants

Feb 4th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Krystal

Dress code in elegant restaurants

We keep reading how casual Hawaii is, but I can't believe it is that casual in the more elegant restaurants such as the Swan Court.
What is the proper attire for such an occasion for men and women?

Feb 4th, 2001, 07:57 PM
scigirl

Hawaii is very casual - the typical 'dress code' here is a t-shirt and rubber flip-flops. A nice pair of shorts and a polo shirt (or a sun dress)would probably carry you in 95% of the 'fancy' resturants without anyone giving it a thought. If you are concerned that you might go some place with a dress code I suggest you call the restaurant before you pack and make sure you bring a tie or jacket or whatever they require - it is unlikely you would need such things any place else in Hawaii. You can, however, certainly dress-up as much as you like and no one will look at you funny for doing so. Hope this helps.

Feb 4th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Melissa

I don't think so! The more elegant restaurants do require better dress than shorts, T-shirts, and slippers. You don't have to go all-out dressy, but a nice dress and sandals will do. Men should wear nice slacks and a shirt with a collar. I'm not sure what the Swan Court's dress code is--some restaurants do require a jacket so (the previous poster is right on this one) you should call ahead to check.

Feb 4th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Donna

Your best bet is to call and ask. Then, you won't be over-dressed or under-dressed. When I phoned ahead once, assuming very dressy attire would be appropriate, the hostess told me, "Our staff wears tuxedos, but our customers wear shorts". But, another said, "A jacket and tie would be better".

Feb 4th, 2001, 10:35 PM
Donna

Note - two different restaurants.

Feb 5th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Vince

I called the Tidewater Restaurant at the Hyatt in Kauai. they said casual resort wear. shirt w/collar & shorts is OK.
Vince

Feb 5th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Ann

I didn't realize anyone still uses the word "slacks".

Feb 5th, 2001, 12:08 PM
L

If it's evening and a nice restaurant, at the very least men should wear a pair of long pants. If the waiters have on a tux, slip on a jacket. If its casual, tie is very optional. Women should wear a skirt or casual dress, and nice jewelry. Come on - no one except a yokel would wear shorts into a place where the staff wear tuxedos. Next i will be wet bathing suits!! Why stay in tha same style or clothes you've been in all day long? Show some respect for the restaurant and yourself, and dress up a little bit. Have more than one gear.

Feb 5th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Beverly

I have travelled often to upscale resorts for business conferences which also hosted dinners at some of the better restaurants. You definitely want to call ahead to be sure as the restaurant will not mind sharing their dress code. In hot climates, men should wear a collared shirt and summerweight sports jacket. It doesn't hurt to carry a tie in your pocket if you're not sure. Exact matching slacks (yes, slacks not pants) is not necessary but they should not be khaki or denim for an elegant restaurant. In a more contemporary or more casual but upscale restaurant, a dressier tee (not white) or quality polo shirt buttoned at the neck with a jacket is good, too. (You can take the jacket off later for dancing. Never sneakers,dock shoes, or sandals. Women have more leeway. If your dress is strappy - meant for a more romantic after-dinner, bring an elegant shawl for coverup. You can wear a nice pants suit or longer skirt than daytime. Something even as simple as a dress blouse with a camisole underneath and a clingy or flowing skirt will give you a number of dress options for different types of restaurants during your stay. No stockings is acceptable. Wear your fancy sandals. I don't bring expensive jewelry when I travel because I don't like to worry about it. Simple jewelry is always better than showy anyway. I like to tie a short colorful scarf around my throat for an accent. Never shorts or "souvenir" wear for an elegant restaurant. If you're going to pay dearly for the experience, you might as well throw in the attitude and enjoy it to the max!

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Karen

Wow, I don't know if you guys have been to HI recently, but ties and coats are just about unheard of there. Even the nicer restaurants in the hotels, though not always the best, rarely, if ever, require a jacket. For guys, as formal as you get would be a pair of dockers and a polo or Aloha type shirt. Women may want to "dress up" in a long or short "sundress." One of the joys of the islands is that it is so casual and laid back. Keep in mind that restaurants other than the hotels literally have no dress codes and much of the time, these are better restaurants - foodwise. We have been traveling to HI for over a decade and hardly ever see jackets and ties at dinner. At the nicer restaurants, men can even get away with a nicer pair of shorts and polo shirt. Relax and enjoy the Aloha spirit and leave your "work clothes" behind. You will feel awkward if you take them with you!

Feb 6th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Beverly

I guess my version of "elegant" is different from others. If I went to a restaurant where men were dressed in dockers (like chinos or khakis)and a golf shirt or a casual flowered (oh no, short sleeved!) shirt,and women wore cotton sundresses, that they could go shopping, golfing, or to the movies in, I would not think "elegant" anymore, but maybe "casual but upscale" depending on the the cuisine and prices. I do think there is a difference and I would call ahead to confirm the dress code, Krystal, since you called the Swan Court an elegant restaurant. I would think even in Hawaii there are more formal establishments where one can "dress up" for the occasion of fine dining. Let us know what you find out.

Feb 6th, 2001, 12:54 PM
NoKidding

geeesssshhhh, does it REALLY matter? does it make the food taste better if you're all dressed up?

Feb 6th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Tom

Bev

There are not more formal places on Maui...it is all casual...it is Hawaii...an Aloha shirt is considered appropriate for men in all situations

Feb 6th, 2001, 01:06 PM
sharon

When staying on Lanai, we dined at both the Lodge at Koele (The Formal Dining Room) and Manele Bay (Ihilani Restaurant). Both required a jacket for men, and neither allowed shorts.

Feb 6th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Thurston Howell

Dressing up keeps the riff-raff out!

Feb 6th, 2001, 06:06 PM
local bum

You calling me a riff raff?! Eh, brah! Just last week, I dined at the elegant Kahala Mandarin in my most formal: walking shorts, aloha shirt (a must!) and a pair of Birkenstocks. They all ooohed and ahhhed at my Birkenstocks. Thought I was a bit too classy for them...

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Carol

For the 'granola crowd' out there, please keep in mind that there are still a few souls left in the world who actually enjoy getting at least a little bit 'dressed up' in order to make a nice evening out feel a bit more special. To each his/her own. If others wish to wear Birkenstocks and such, that's fine...but some people like a bit more formality. And no, "NoKidding", it doesn't make the food taste better, it makes the atmosphere feel better...to some people. Please try to respect the fact that not everyone's tastes and pleasures are identical to yours.

Feb 6th, 2001, 09:26 PM
Melissa

Beverly, you are my hero! (Carol, you are #2 hero.) I totally agree, there are places where casual attire is frowned upon. I recently ate at Padovani's in the Doubletree (Waikiki) and watched as a couple in shorts was turned away for dinner. Most of the restaurants in the Kahala Mandarin will probably accept shorts, but I can't believe Hoku's would allow it. Casual attire in elegant restaurants is just not elegant!

Feb 7th, 2001, 12:01 AM
grand gourmand

People who "dress to the nines" are simply trying to feed their own egos. When I go to a restaurant it's strictly business: I eat! It's stupid to have a tie wrapped around my throat preventing me from swallowing my framboise a la Dijon. Why should I care as to how someone else dresses? The flavor is in the food...not the clothes that someone else is wearing!!!!!!!!

Feb 7th, 2001, 05:05 AM
NoKidding

Carol, don't mistake my message. I really don't care what anybody else wears to a restaurant. I go to a restaurant to enjoy the food and the company I'm in. I don't have to try to make myself feel better, or impress anybody, by wearing an $800 suit. And, by wearing a suit, it really doesn't make the meal better. I've tried it. It just doesn't. But if someone wants to dress up, fine. As long as they don't try to impose want they consider to be "proper" attire on me.

Search this Thread