Notices

DOWNTOWN PORTLAND THANKSGIVING DINNER

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 02:27 PM
Connie

DOWNTOWN PORTLAND THANKSGIVING DINNER

We are planning on coming to Portland and staying at the Marriott on Washington & Broadway. Hoping to be able to walk to shops, etc. Any recommendations for a nice traditional Thanksgiving dinner? Any advice on this location would be great...

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 09:24 PM
xxx

If you're looking for someplace downtown, I'd suggest that you consider having dinner at one of the hotels. The Benson or the Heathman would be my choices. Both are very pretty hotels. Another option is to see if you can find a restaurant in the nearby Pearl District. There are a number of excellent independent restaurants in that area and you could hop on the street car to get over there (also in the general downtown area). Jake's Seafood might also serve a Thanksgiving dinner. The food is very good and I'm sure they'd put together a wonderful holiday meal.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Tom

While not on Thanksgiving, this might be something fun for that holiday weekend.
Mt. Hood Railroad
110 Railroad Ave
60 miles east of Portland on Interstate 84
Hood River, Oregon

Hear that steam engine's whistle blow and the last call of "all aboard," then relax as you're pulled up those first three steep miles and pushed back a century in time. These scenic train rides take you into the depths of the Columbia River Gorge, to spots far from the highway that often are not accessible by car. There's plenty of wildlife, orchards, forests and waterfalls to spot as the train meanders through the Cascades. Most of the scheduled trips are four-hour rides in an authentic 1920s Pullman coach car, an open air viewing car or a traditional red cabose. The Brunch and Dinner treks come with a full gourmet meal. Remember to check out the refurbished railroad depot in Parkdale at the halfway point stop that is made on most of the excursions. It's now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Mount Hood Railroad holiday special is offered over the weekend rather than on Thanksgiving itself.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Sarah

I've enjoyed the Heathman dinner in the past and would recommend it for someone staying in the downtown area. Here's some info on it -
Thanksgiving Dinner at the Heathman Hotel

The hotel's holiday buffet, served from 1pm - 5pm, includes everything from carved roasted turkey to black angus steaks. The sit-down dinner, served at 6pm, is three courses, including prime rib and a pupmkin creme brule. Buffet $35, dinner $29.
Be sure to stay around and enjoy the live jazz music that they provide in the lounge area that evening.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:14 AM
wendy

Although it's much more casual than the places already suggested, while in Portland 2 weekends ago my friend and I hate a fantastic dinner at Mother's. Wow! Not for vegitarians though.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Turkey

Try checking out the following website: http://aolsvc.digitalcity.com/portla...ws%2etext2%2e1

The Kennedy School would be a fun place for a holiday dinner. It's an old elementary school that has been renovated into a hotel and microbrew pub facility. Very fun!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Holly

I agree with the others about The Heathman. It is a very classy place (they even have "High Tea")The decor and the food was great! I didn't want to leave.You will enjoy Portland especially if your planning on shopping. There transit system goes to all the major malls and downtown for next to nothing.(wich I would reccomend over driving)

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Connie

Thanks for your help. I think we will be checking out the Heathman and Benson. They both sound wonderful. Do you think day before reservations will be enough? Thought I'd call when we arrived into town on Wednesday. Thanks

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 11:00 AM
xxx

Both the Heathman and Benson are some of favorite hotels in Portland when I'm in town for business. The Lakers often stay at the Benson, with many of the players dining at the adjacent Goucho Grill. And the jazz trio that plays in the lounge on many evenings is well worth stopping by to hear.

The Heathman Hotel is a popular destination for Thanksgiving dinner, so I would suggest that you call and make reservations now to assure yourself a spot. You can always cancel at the last minute if you change your mind.