Reload this Page >

Group Weekender in DC area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Bedi

Every year the Ol' college gang gets together for a group weekend get-a-way in January. It's my turn to plan this year's trip and I haven't a clue where to begin.
Do you have any suggestions?
Ideal place would be: a)within 2 hours from Washington,DC b)either a lodge/big house or close cabins for 20 people, including some young kids c)have hiking and/or outdoor activities close by
Thanks for your ideas!

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Ann

This is a little further afield, but my family recently had a reunion at Smith Mountain Lake resort. It was about 3-4 hours from DC, I think (I'm a little foggy on where in Virginia it actually is located). It was the hotel in "Dirty Dancing". They have cabins or you can stay in the main hotel. It was a great place for a reunion, and there's lots of outdoor activities.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Chris

You should check out this website --
http://www.mountain-lodging.com/virginia.htm. There are listings for GREAT cabins in the Luray area. Some accommodate groups. It fits your distance requirements, there are lots of choices, and the scenery is gorgeous. Each link has pix and directions. Enjoy.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Susan

We stayed at Jordan Hollow Farm near Luray and loved it. Its a B&B but with a lot of rooms in different buildings. The restaurant is great. You could also look at Graves Mountain Inn or Peaks of Otter Lodge.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Bedi

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. These are great ideas!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 11:02 AM
linda

I like Graves Mountain Lodge as well. it is rural, however. Big activites in January would be eating and hiking if the weather allows. There is NOTHING to do at the Peaks of Otter.

check out the Wintergreen resort, just outside of Charlottesville. It has a ski run, indoor pool, a number of restaurants and many kinds of housing including several large houses. Best of all, it has activities for every age and energy level.