Reload this Page >

Downtown new york (Marriott World Trade Center) - is it a safe place to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 02:06 AM
Alma

We're planning on staying one nite near to World Trade Center, depart for boston and returning to midtown manhattan for 4 more nights. Is the downtown area a safe place to stay at night? Is there anything else to do in the early evening besides going to the World Trade Center?
Thank you for your help.

Thank

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Beverly

Hello, Alma. I live and work in NY and I can assure you that the area downtown is safe to stay at night. If you will be there during the week, you will experience the real buzz of NY's financial center. On the weekend, it will be much quieter. You can take the enclosed walkway from the World Trade Center over to the World Financial Center which is on the harbor. Both centers have many shops and restaurants and there may even be free summer events happening in either place - check with your concierge. Don't miss the view of the city from the World Trade Center's observation deck which is spectacular on a clear day or evening. If you take a free (I believe) roundtrip on the Staten Island Ferry, you can get close up to the Statue of Liberty without the cost and wait. The South Street Seaport is another good place to visit. If you need other types of diversions for your one day stay downtown, take a quick cab ride to Soho/Greenwich Village for a low-key, artsy, funky side of NY. You will find good music there, too. Enjoy!

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 12:35 PM
Karen

Three of us have had two trips for a week each to NYC. We never had a moment when we felt anything but perfectly safe. We were like whirlwinds filling every waking moment cramming in all the sights and had a great time and didn't have an incident of any kind that was unsafe.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 01:50 PM
Caryn

Contrary to its reputation, NYC is not unsafe. The WTC is quiet on the weekends and at night, but you will be right near the subway. You will also be right near the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and the STaten Island ferry (free with a better view). Battery Park city is a nice promenade on the river. South STreet Seaport is okay if you like outdoor touristy malls. Get to the upper east and west sides if you can for a taste of how New Yorkers really live.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 05:47 AM
Jill

Your message doesn't say but I'm assuming your going in the summertime. In the summer there's lots of activity in the WTC area but I definitely wouldn't recommend it after Sept. I often go to the WTC on business and like to stay at the Marriott Financial Center which is about two short blocks from the one at the WTC. I think the Financial Ctr one is much nicer. When you return for the 4 days I'd stay in midtown where there is much more to see and do and especially much more choices in dining. I worked at the WTC for 2 years and commuted by subway. But in my business trips back I won't take the subway from the WTC station after commuting afters its very deserted.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 05:42 PM
alma

Thank you very much - your replies have been very helpful.
We will be going in late July.