Reload this Page >

Double Beds in NYC with Priceline?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Michele

I always use Priceline for hotels in the US, but biddingfortravel.com has a strong warning that if you need double beds be very careful about bidding in NYC.

My mom and I are going to New York for five days in May and obviously we require two beds. Has anyone had this same requirement in NYC and used Priceline? Any advice on areas to bid on that might be easier? I was thinking of taking the advice with the Grand Hyatt - joining their Passport club, bidding for what I know will get me the Grand Hyatt, and hoping for twin beds. What do you guys think?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Abbey

Obviously you know that you risk not getting the Hyatt, so I won't start in on that! I have been watching the biddingfortravel.com site JUST to see what has been won, and lately the Hyatt hasn't come up (of course that could change in May). You can also bid on a room, win "something" and then call the hotel directly to see about the arrangements. The worse thing is that they say no and you are both in 1 double bed. You could also offer to pay for an upgrade, that may work. I joined the Hyatt's passport program the first time we won it, (complimentary coffee & newspaper, kind of nice) and I really enjoy staying there. Our room and bath have always been spotless, the front desk staff gave us a room with a view (and not of an alley!) when we asked, and we arrived at 9:00 am and our rooms were ready.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 02:47 AM
xxx

I bid for a 3* in October and got a room in a MTW boutique hotel for $95. This room had a queen bed and when we requested twin beds the hotel staff said we would have to pay $50 more per night for a junior suite, as none of their standard rooms had 2 beds. I don't know if this ever applies to 4* hotels though.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Eva

I recently won a P'line a 4* hotel in NY--The Barclay Intercontinental (which has been coming up a lot lately) and the first thing out of the reservation desk clerks mouth upon check-in was "We do not have any rooms with two beds."

They did have wonderful King beds which easily accommodated my daughter and I. I don't know if you want to risk it but figured I'd pass this on.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Tina

I don't trust bidding for a hotel room, especially in NYC. There are too many things that could go wrong. I suggest finding a moderately priced hotel in the area you know you want to be and the extra expense will be worth it for a sure thing.