Search

Door County

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 10:53 AM
v

Door County

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a nice place to stay in Door County? Also, is there a big differnce between Door County and Galena. We are from Chicago but have not been to neither. Also, any suggestions as to what to see and do? We are planning a trip over Memorial Day weekend and realize we must book soon.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:46 AM
juli

Don't go to Galena, go to Door County!!! Door County is a lovely little piece of Scandinavia crossed with the Maine coast and dropped into Lake Michigan. Great places to stay include the White Gull Inn and the Whistling Swan in Fish Creek but there are lots of great places. The Chamber of Commerce website will help you out there (any search engine will pull it up). To do in late May...hiking in The Ridges nature sanctuary or around Whitefish Dunes state park, bicycling through Peninsula Park, antiquing, or any of the "fests" that happen just about every weekend. Late May is lovely for everything except swimming and the beach.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 12:02 PM
KATHY

My favorite Door County town is Sister Bay, and my favorite hotel there is the Churchhill Inn. It's a wonderful small hotel with a lot of antiques. One of the best things to do in door county is to take the ferry to Washington Island.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Toni

we stayed at the White Gull Inn which was very nice, (great breakfast!) and drove the loop around door county. We loved the maritime museum that was there also. Door County is beautiful!

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 04:33 PM
kam

Just to offer another opinion.....Galena is closer to Chicago ( 3hours) rather than 4 1/2. It's another lovely little historical town and the terrain in Jo Daviess Co. is quite hilly and unlike anything in Chicago. I think either way, you'll have a lovely vacation.