Reload this Page >

Glacier Park end of May

Search

Glacier Park end of May

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Joan

Glacier Park end of May

Planning a trip thru Glacier Park the end of May. Will the roads be open? Going from Glacier to Baniff and Lake Louise. Will those roads be open also?

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 09:04 AM
dnorrie

You should have no problem getting from Glacier to Banff/Jasper. However, the Going to the Sun Hwy in Glacier may be closed yet. We just got a lot of snow here in Southern Alberta and I assume the mountains in Glacier also. 40cms. on the flat land and I heard as much as 80cms. in the mtns. and 145 cms. near Bragg Creek outside of Calgary. The main roads of course all always cleared rapidly but the Going to the Sun Highway is very narrow and difficult to clear. You could check out the US parks on the net.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Bob Brown

Sun Road did not open last year to through traffic until June 16. As the previous poster said, there was a big snow storm on April 3. My guess is that the road will not be open any sooner than June 16. I suggest that you check the NP web site for up to date information. The opening of the road is well publicized. Usually the road is open as far as Siyeh Bend on the east side, and past Lake McDonald on the west well before the whole road is open. The final stretch leading up to Logan Pass is a bear to clear. The drifts along the road can be 12 feet deep, or more, and take a long time to remove.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Kathy

The Going to the Sun Road usually doesn't open until July - lots of snow ! I don't know about the other road being open , I would think it would be as in Cananada it is like an interstate

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Bob Brown

For the record, the average opening date of the Sun Road in Glacier over the past 30 years has been June 7.
This year snow fall has been less than average, including the most recent storm. With the lower amount of snow fall, the road might open somewhat earlier than the average date, i.e. before June 7. But the only sure way to know the projected opening date is to consult the NPS web site.
Usually, the NPS site reports progress on clearing the snow from the road.