Don't laugh - Sex and the City tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't laugh ... but we, two girls in our 20s, are pretty keen on the SATC tour. I know it's cheesy but ....
Would like to hear from anyone who has actually been on the tour, and an honest opinion on whether the experience is a waste of money.

thanks all!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Alright, I'll say it....I miss that show, lol

Looking forward to reading your responses.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:55 AM

Miranti, I have a coupon for buy 1 tour Sex and the City Tour and get another free. If you want it, e-mail me at cgaXtwcny.rr.com (replace X wth @) and I'll send it to you.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 03:13 AM

just a thought, but it might be more fun to make your own SATC tour. Go through the shows, most of the places are easily found by an internet search.

Do it chronologically or by area. We have discussed the various bars and restaurants here before. I have a busy morning but maybe a search can find it for you.

Tao would be on the list, and the cupcake place in Greenwich. I do remember there is a list somewhere here on Fodors. LMF
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:58 AM

Okay, well I've actually been on the tour. I did it about 1.5-2 years ago. It was okay-- not the greatest tour I've ever done, but it was fun to see some of the places that they featured in the show. When I took the tour, I hadn't been in NY in about 15 years, so it was also a great way to get an overview of the city and decide which neighborhoods I wanted to explore in depth later on. I guess I would say if you enjoy the show, then go ahead and take the tour.
The suggestion of makeing your own tour sounds like fun as well. The only potential problem I see with that is that some of the locations in the show they don't mention the name in the show and if you're not from the area, you might not be able to find/identify certain places if you don't have the name.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:49 AM

Miranti, when are you set to go to nyc? We bought tickets for the SATC tour (yes, even after some people told us not to!) for the beginning of sept when we're there. Our reasoning is yes, while we can go and find all these places ourselves, as we are super SATC fans (and boy, do I miss it!), we don't want the hassle of figuring out where carrie's stoop or where aidan's furniture store is, etc. For the cost of the tour to just enjoy visiting all these places, even though it'll probably be cheesy, I think we'll still enjoy it. I'll let you know how it is!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:07 AM
mm

Whoops, I did it. I laughed!

mm
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 08:56 AM

SeeTheWorld, I'm sure the show is still on, not on HBO which I don't have, but yesterday I was flipping the channels, and it was on channel 41 TBS (San Francisco). Don't know at what time - didn't pay attention as I don't watch it.

Check your local channels. Or Google TVguide and search for it in your area.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi. thanks for all the replies.

Margie: thanks for the offer but I'm right across the world from you. In Malaysia. It might be a hassle for you to post the coupon.

Gigglepots: would love to hear your experience!

We are planning to be in NYC in early September. I think we might manage to find the bakery and a few nightspots, but I doubt we can locate spots like Carrie's stoop without a tour.
We are not familiar with NYC and can't recognise the neighbourhoods without help.

If anyone knows where the iconic spots are located, I would love to hear from them, and make up our our tour!

thanks again. this is a great forum, everyone is so helpful.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:36 PM

My SATC tour would be going to buy some expensive strappy sandels for no reason and thinking of Carrie!

SeeTheWorld, I so miss that show too. Glad it ended with Mr. Big though!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Just got back from NYC as of late last night (I miss it already!) and as promised, here's my take on the SATC tour:

YES, it's cheesy - a busload of women answering SATC trivia questions as the tour guide tries to introduce every destination as though she's visiting it for the first time.

YES, there are many places you can go on your own; a few we even visited before doing the tour 5 days into our trip - but there are a few you wouldn't have known at all, much less hear of some inside stories about the tapings.

YES, it's a rather pricey for the big Cheese factor.

BUT....

Did we have fun? Hell yes. If you are as much of a SATC freak like my best friend and I, then you will enjoy it. They even briefly play some episodes on the bus as you drive by each place to jog your memory (as you gasp and sigh with delight b/c you had totally forgotten that scene up until then).

Basically on the bus, you get to be every bit as giddy about this HBO show even though you have wondered many times deep inside if it's normal to be THAT obsessed about the lives of these four fictional characters. Then you look around and smile knowing that you are not the only one.

We now have a picture where we're sitting on Carrie's stoop (which BTW is on Perry Street in the village) that I'll remember forever.

For my first trip in NYC, I cannot imagine it without the SATC tour. Again, I am not pretending that it's not at all cheesy b/c it is what it is - but if you are a die hard fan like us who probably know every single bloody episode down to the T, then you will love it.

[Also, you get 15% off at the Pleasure Chest for being on the tour and if you need to stock up on a few items during the pit stop, then my dears, that alone is worth it! haha LOL ]