Reload this Page >

Don't Get Sick of Me (?)

Search

Don't Get Sick of Me (?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Betty

Don't Get Sick of Me (?)

Our NY trip is only 3-weeks away so I may be posting quite often w/the last minute questions. My question now is we're staying at the Clarion Hotel Fifth Avenue, 3 East 40th Street.....will this be an OK area at night?? And, approximately what would the cab fee be from LaGuardia to here. Thanks so much to all you knowledgeable New Yorkers!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:58 AM
greg

It's a perfect location as you're near times sq, the grand central station area and fifth ave so yes, that specific block should be pretty safe at night. I don't really any other city in america that is up all night like new york. i don't really know how much cabs would cost as I always take the shuttle bus ($12) when I come back but it shouldn't be more than $25 I imagine.

There are major retrospectives on mies van der rohe going on right now and they are truly amazing.....pls don't miss that.

Enjoy!!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Frank

Betty: The Clarion is an excellant choice, relatively new building (10 years), good location directly off of 5th Avenue. The building is very narrow and high probably 35-40 stories, try to get a high floor. Taxi from La Guardia should be about $35. Make sure you check out the New York Public Library on 40th and Fifth. The main lobby and main reading room on the upper floors are landmarks. Your location is mid-way between the Empire State Building and Rock Center.

Great proximity to Grand Central Station, a must see, and Times Square, both are a short walk away. The area is fine at night, just use common sense like you would in any big city. The great thing about your hotel is that the block between Madison and 5th Avenue is short and your hotel is a few steps from 5th Avenue. Check out the great 99 cent store directly accross the street from your hotel, it is one of the largest in the city and runs the full block from 39th to 40th Street, it is always jammed on weekdays at lunch.

Ask all the questions you wish, that is what this forum is supposed to be all about.

Enjoy.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:32 AM
xx

We won't get sick of you. Post as much as you like, just use nice, descriptive headings so all the experts on New York will see you.

Have fun!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 03:55 PM
rqf

Area is as good as any in midtown. Area is almost as busy as Times Square during the day but will be quiet after the business day ends. YOu can walk to most things of interest in midtown: Empire State, Macy's, theater district, NY Public Library, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Museum of Modern Art to name a few.
A taxi from LGA to the hotel will be closer to $25 than $35. If two are traveling taxi is the way to go.