Dogs: Allowed on any Cape Cod/MA beaches?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Lizzie

Dogs: Allowed on any Cape Cod/MA beaches?

We're about to book a trip with our(smallish, well-behaved) dog, who LOVES to swim. I've never been to the Mass. seashore and don't know where to start. We've been to many beaches in Maine where we were able to take the dog. ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:30 AM
gail

Any bech I have been to on the Cape has a sign posted prohibiting dogs - some only during summer months, but many year round.

That said, I have seen many dogs on small beaches (usually belonging to associations, towns, etc.) in evening or early morningin hours in the summer. I am not suggesting that you sneak your dog onto the beach, just giving you my observations. Since you sound like a reasonable person and dog owner (or else you wouldn't ask the question, you would just do it), I am also assuming that you will clean up after your dog.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:21 PM
cap

There's a book called the Dog Lovers Companion Guide to New England (or something like that) that lists all the parks, beaches, restaurants, hotels, etc etc that accept dogs. I don't have it, or I'd give you the info -- but I've seen the book in the bookstore.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Lizzie

Thanks for the tip, Gail. You assume correctly: While I'm a dog-lover, I dislike stepping in anything other than sand and shells at the beach as much as anybody else, and religiously pick up after my dog. I'm always amazed at people who don't and I usually call them on it (I know I'm going to get beaten up one of these days) because they're ruining it for us responsible dog types.
Again, thanks.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Melissa

I am a Cape native, and proud mama to my furry-baby Golden Retriever, Winston.
He is not allowed on most beaches between May 15- Sep 15, and some like Sandy Neck in Barnstable, and Seagull in yarmouth, he is not allowed at all.

There is a beach in Eastham which allows dogs year round- Holly something or other. There is also a beach in Dennis that allows dogs, but I don't know the name of it. If you email the dennis chamber of commerce (they are very helpful) they will let you know which one it is.
And of course, the clean up is essential.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Gene

Provincetown, on the tip of Cape Cod is one of the most dog-friendly places on this planet. This is where you want to start, take your furry friend for a walk down Commercial Street, then to Race Point and Herring Cove beaches.