Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dog The Bounty Hunter - so much crime in Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Dog Bounty Hunter series but it made me wonder if there is so much crime in Hawaii to keep these fellows busy day after day.

Does a regular tourist run into all the drug addicts, robbers and bond jumpers? It looks like they do because they nab them at the beach, the parks and fast food places.

BTW, I love Beth the Wife.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Can't address your question but I love this crazy family, too... they just kill me. What kills me is:
1. How Beth and Dog dress... OMG
2. How they curse and curse and then preach the word of God after they get the bad guy in the car
3. Leland... that name. He's a cutie though, in a white trash kinda way. But he seems so good natured

PS... if you look at the Dog website you will be shocked by Beth's background

Old Sep 17th, 2005, 10:34 AM

I started watching this series because I love Hawaii & thought I'd at least see some great scenery - now I'm addicted. I recently saw them on the Montel Williams show & was surprised to hear that Tim & Dog aren't really brothers - they met years ago & teamed up -same last name is just a coincidence. I've been to Hawaii about 15 times & have never experienced anything negative, as far as running into any of the "bad guys".
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Haven't you ever seen Hawaii 5-O? If you did you'd know that Hawaii was rife with Chinese spies, heroin dealers, ladies of the night, shady nightclub owners, Asian hitmen, and smugglers.

I can't comment on Chapman, since I have never seen his show, nor am in Honolulu, but I know a local bail bondsman and bounty hunter here on Maui who is kept very busy with small time criminals, drug abusers and dealers and others who come to him for bail money and then fail to show up for court. He also follows many leads on mainland bail jumpers who think they can hide better in the islands than on the mainland. They do not hunt criminals like a super hero--they find bail jumpers to recover forfeited bail money. Obviously, the Bounty Hunter show is a TV show and then can edit it together to tell any story they want. Honolulu is a big city, like any other big city. There are rougher parts of town where you'll be more likely to encounter a seedier element, but for most part Hawaii, like other tourist desitnations, does a good job of hiding that underbelly from the visitors who spend their money here. (Think Miami Vice/Miami the Tourist Destination)
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 10:42 AM

As far as crime is concerned, Hawaii is like many other places with a large population and many visitors. Crime exists, can be a considerable problem, but rarely touches the lives of the average citizens and visitors.

You have the same risks in Hawaii of auto burglary that you would have in any other major beach destination where lots of people park their cars for hours. If you explore some of the bad areas of town in the dark and by yourself, you are making yourself a target.

Otherwise, relax and enjoy your trip. You are at no more risk than you would be anywhere else with a similar sized population, probably less.

I lived in Oahu for 3 years while I was in the Air Force and I have visited Hawaii 8-9 times as a tourist and the only crime I was ever exposed to was the shoplifting arrests I made as a part-time store detective while I lived there and being solicited by hookers in the late evening along Waikiki.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

That is so true years ago my mom warned me about going to Hawaii because she had been watching Hawaii-50 and did think it was the most crimeridden city in the USA.

I didn't know Dog has a web sight, I am going over there pronto. I love all of them and then when more of his kids show up it gets even better, Duane Lee Jr and Baby Lisa. Oh I love them all. How many kids does that Dog have?!!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 02:17 PM

I love this show! Reminds me of The Osbornes, wierd and dysfunctional loving family! I have been to Hawaii many times and never witnessed any criminal activity. I hear there is a huge crystal meth problem in the state, and I think most of the people he has brought in are probably druggies. I shouldn't give this idea away because i think it is so great but DH and I are going to dress as Dog and Mrs for Holloween! I was just going to look for some images of them before I go shopping. Any ideas on where to find a kevlar vest?
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:04 AM
GoTravel

I LOVE this show!

It is truly train wreck TV, it is horrifying but I can't stop watching!

I like it when Beth calls him Dewww-Wayne!

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Ag3046

I LOVE this show, too! Beth is so bea-u-ti-ful.

If you notice, they are always in places that tourist are just not going to end up in, unless you are searching out drugs.

I believe any city of Honolulu's size has exactly the same drug/theft problems. And what they show is sadly, all from drug use and it's consequences. Can you imagine what this show was like if it was set in Fresno, or LA?

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:24 AM

The average tourist will not encounter the criminal element in Hawaii. I lived on Oahu for a year, and most of the crime took place on the Waianae Coast, which is not a common destination for visitors. As far as Hawaii's ice problem, it's not insignificant but it pales in comparison to an area with a truly awful drug problem like Baltimore, which is where I lived before moving to Oahu.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM

I saw Beth and Dog interviewed on MSNBC by Donny Deutsch. Was really suprised to hear that they have another son you never see and that he is a meth addict.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:42 AM
GoTravel

jorr, I watched the original pilot a couple of weeks ago that was re-run and they said Dog has TWELVE children. Holy cow!

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

I looked at their official website and he does have 12 kids! Fertile isn't he.

They have all had such rough childhoods, especially poor Tim, my goodness, he was raised by a pedophile father and more. Beth has had an interesting life, singing in Vegas, etc. I think they are an interesting family to say the least.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I drive by Dog's office every day on my way home from work. When his show first started airing, you could occasionally see him, his wife or various other people on the show inside (it's a glass fronted office) - but now you never see them. They've also now got a sign on the door "Do not enter - filming in progress."

I now often see tourists gathering in front on the sidewalk, peering in and occasionally ignoring the sign to enter and try to find Dog. I wonder if he's set up another office to actually get some work done.

Like any large city, Honolulu has crime - but the average tourist is not likely to be in many of the places that the show portrays. The exception would be the time they showed Dog on Waikiki Beach.

I enjoy watching the show, and as someone born and raised in Honolulu, I have to admit that lot of times I have never been to these neighborhoods that they're going to. I often find myself wondering "Where is that?!?"
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:38 AM

I watched the marathon the other day and I swear Beth's boobs look bigger than ever!
I think she may have had a new 'enhancement'.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:42 AM
GoTravel

geezuzmaryandjosef I hope not.

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:42 AM

my sister is a bailbondsman on Kaua'i. apparently Kaua'i doesnt have much crime, or "big time" crime anyway, cuz she sure as hayull dont make much money.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:45 AM

..another fan here...I agree with TxTravelPro's first message 100%, my thoughts exactly, and the website info is very interesting....they are somethin'...
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

I think her tummy is flatter which makes her boobs look bigger. I wonder if she has had a little tuck, if so, good for her.

Are there any new episodes? When does the new season start? Anyone.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:47 PM

I think the new season is underway already. Website says 9/27 back to back episodes, it's on A&E. I am going to have to buy a huge bra and stuff like crazy for my costume. Plus they are up so high! Phew...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -