Dog Friendly Beach Town in Southeast, charm, privacy, good food

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in search of the perfect southern beach town. Last spring break (I'm a teacher) we found paradise in Summer Haven, south of St Augustine. We loved the privacy, quiet, funky dining, dog friendly beaches where our dogs could run and play safely, blue water, views, proximity to historical sights in St Augustine, and nice weather. It was pretty much my perfect beach town.

The only problem? The drive from DC took us FOREVER on 95 both ways the week before Easter. While waiting over an hour just to get back onto 95 from the exit where we stopped for gas in Virginia, with our butts numb after 15 hours in the car, we swore that we would not go through that devilish drive again.

We are seeking something closer to DC- maybe NC, SC, or Georgia. We are looking for a town that has some charm, some good eating (high class or fried seafood- we like both), and a beach that allows dogs all day. Tybee Island, GA would be a hands down winner except they don't allow dogs on the beach. Any ideas for us?

We are a couple of old farts who like looking at water views, reading, and having cocktails on the porch after a day of walking our dogs on the beach or in the woods or touring historic sights. We would like a single family rental with privacy that is pet friendly. A hot tub would add to the charm. We like birds, flowers, and nature and don't like mini-golf, neon, and touristy shopping. We would be happy with any weather from 60-90 degrees in late April.

Any undiscovered treasures for us? Little towns off the beaten track where we can kick back and look at the view with our dogs? Thanks for your suggestions!!
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Daufuskie Island, South Carolina?
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Hilton Head has reasonable dog regulations. We visit in September each year and our dogs are in paradise. You should check on the internet against which week you plan this year. Off peak beach season, dogs are permitted at all times, but must be on leashes from 9 to 5. ,The Island meets all your expectations with beautiful paths throughout the island. I prefer Sea Pines myself, but if you check HHI on Fodors or Trip Advisor you will find many advocates of other plantations and resorts.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM

If Hilton Head doesn't appeal, slightly closer is Isle of Palms outside of Charleston. Not as big as Hilton Head, has (to me) more of a beachy feel and dogs are allowed on the beach off leash through March 31 except between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM.

Or a lot closer to you, Duck in the Outerbanks is pretty dog friendly. But will be cool during Spring Break.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! We have been looking at Duck, Brian. It looks great but all the houses are HUGE for two people. It is definitely on the list though. I've got some homework (fun actually) to do looking up the South Carolina towns.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 06:07 AM

Other (smaller) places in SC we've looked at but haven't gotten to yet are Pawley's Island and Edisto Island. These may have more of the beach town vibe you're looking for.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't suppose you've considered going AROUND some of that 95 "problem" out of DC by taking the combination of 301 and 17 have you?
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 05:57 AM

try Emerald isle,or Atlantic beach NC. Theyre are on an island just off Beaufort Nc (Not SC).Havent been there in years,but we used to walk a dog on the beach-id think itd be a much much shorter drive and many great seafood spots nearby
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM
cd

Not exactly the area you requested but let me recommend Cape San Blas Forida. We will soon be heading that way for our third winter, well, not the whole winter, just 2months. The beach is VERY dog friendly! It is wide, sandy and white with beautiful clear water. Read my report from our first yr there. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...as-florida.cfm Check it out on a map and see what you think of the drive.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you been to Lewes, DE? It's one of the most dog friendly places I've seen.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Dukey- We did the 301 route once years ago- good idea for the future!

bigbomoho- Beaufort looks adorable- I am checking out rentals in that area now.

cd- Cape San Blas is a little far for us to drive for a week from DC but my inlaws take their dog to St George, which I think is right near there. . That stretch of Florida is really nice and has the laid back vibe we like. We got engaged in Grayton Beach many years ago when it was so laid back that you could leave your beach chairs out on the sand over night.

Birdie- We have been to Lewes many times- it's a good suggestion and an unsung destination but a little close to home for us- we want to explore somewhere new and a little warmer this spring.

Right now Edisto and Folly Beach are in the lead for us! Thanks everyone for all these great ideas. I just love looking at beach houses online so I am enjoying the research!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
cd

Yes, St George is about a 30-45 min drive for us from the Cape and we do enjoy Eddy Teach's Raw Bar there!
It's that laid back vibe that keeps calling us to the Cape/Port St Joe/Apalachicola area.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Here's a dog friendly place, Northeast rather than Southeast, but you might want to add it to your list of places to visit with your four-legged family members:

Martha's Vineyard

We have three dogs and they love their visits to the beaches and nature trails of the island.

There are many dogs in residence AND many visitors are accompanied by their best friends.

Spring can be cool on MV, but dogs have greater access off season to a variety of locations than in the prime summer vacation season.

A beautiful place for everyone!

R @ Edgartown, MA
www.freewebs.com/katamadelight
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 10:39 AM

http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/dog_beaches#Florida
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 05:58 PM

BTW if yo go to Emerald Isle, theres a ferry to the outerbanks thats pretty cool.And if you guys like fishing, that part of NC is terrific, for some reason Blue fin tuna come close into the beach--makes for a fun day--and Raleigh is onky an 1 1/2hours run if you want tet to a big city
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 05:10 AM

I love Edisto. It's wonderful and quiet. But your dog has to be on a leash May 1 through October 1.

http://www.edistochamber.com/faqs.php

So does Folly.
http://www.cityoffollybeach.com/faqs.html

Most SC beaches have leash laws for summer.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Here are the dog regulations for the Outer Banks. BTW, lots of people hate unleashed dogs on the beach and don't forget that April many birds are already nesting on the ground in the dunes.

http://www.outer-banks.nc.us/newsinfo/randr.htm
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Correct. And the sea turtles won't be far behind in SC that time of year.